Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

80s kitchen reno on a budget

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

80s kitchen reno on a budget

Recently I've been completing some renos on an 80's home getting it ready for sale. I've given the kitchen and bathroom a makeover, installed a new trough and splashback in laundry, installed new blockout roller blinds throughout, installed a new toilet cistern and seat, and have received help from family to do the less skilled/technical jobs (I mea that in a nice, practical sense) such as painting, gardening, changing door handles, etc.

With $10k to do cover the cost of everything necessary at the house, knew I had to be smart with the money and couldn't have done it if we had to hire trades. I only paid for the installation of the blinds and installation of the hard wired smoke alarm.

The kitchen

Removed the benchtop, sink, tiled splashback and rollerblind + pelmet.

before1.jpg Photo from PeteWernicke2.jpg

• Installed new benchtops using Bunnings project panels.
  • Removed cabinetry doors/drawers and painted with White Knight Laminate Paint - a big money saver.
  • Installed subway tile splashback to modernise and increase the height up the wall.
  • Updated the powerpoints. Wanted a slimmer version but Bunnings didn't have a cheap slim option with fan switch included.
  • Installed new double sink and tapware.
  • Had blockout roller blind installed.
  • Walls got a fresh lick of paint - Dulux Lexicon Quarter which was used throughout house.

Kitchen new1.jpg Photo from PeteWernicke.jpg Photo from PeteWernicke1.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the improvement to the kitchen. I would've liked to have installed laminate flooring and upgraded the stove/oven but the good ol' budget decided otherwise.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Ezmae
Just Starting Out

Re: 80s kitchen reno on a budget

Hey fantastic kitchen Reno how much did the kitchen Reno cost?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ezmae,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure @ProjectPete will be happy to get back to you with an idea of the kitchen reno cost as soon as possible.

Welcome to Workshop. Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. We are looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Are you planning a kitchen renovation of your own?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Ezmae!

The cost of materials for the kitchen came in just under $1k and it was all purchased from Bunnings. Benches are 3x laminated project panels (about $99 each), Blanco sink and tapware was about $250 from memory, 4L of White Knight paint for the cupboards, tiles for splashback were cheap at about $14sqm (but through my supplier so expect to pay more, around $30sqm retail), maybe $20 for new powerpoints...there were a few other things/costs but as you can see, easy under $1k 😀 The point really was to do this on a budget, and that we did.

----------
Handy and helpful

Thank you @ProjectPete for getting back with your approx costing. This is a project I have to tackle in the very near future. My problem is that the previous owners painted the bench top and cabinetry with house paint and no prep. Everything is flaking off and they did much the same throughout the house to make it look pretty to sell.
Everywhere I go I meet the same issues, no prep before painting. Shocking.
My plan is to do all my bench tops with live edge timber, just can't decide which timber yet. Then the if I replace the doors or re-paint the chipboard doors. This will all be dependent upon my budget as I get there. But love the job you have done on a very tight budget and thanks for sharing.

No worries @Old-gal24 

It'll be great to see how yours turns out. I did this on a budget to sell it quickly but still did the correct prep and finishing. It's such a shame when others don't take that same pride/care in their work and just end up creating issues down the track and most likely for someone else.

----------
Handy and helpful

Yes my daughter and I purchased a real lemon, so have been trying hard to make lemonade. As my dearest pop told me a jobs worth doing, so do it well or don't bother at all.

The other thing he always told me that I try to always do and that is measure twice cut once. The kitchen you did on a budget @ProjectPete was how I originally thought I would do. But found a fellow here in Dubbo that cut's some amazing live edge slabs, so I've decided to go that way, but he mostly has red wood and I'm not sure if I want to go that way. Well had better complete some of my other tasks before I tack the big one..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects