Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dining hutch DIY renovation

Brisypr
Building a Reputation

Dining hutch DIY renovation

cupboard after 2.jpg

We loved our hutch but it was time to give it new life and purpose!  We thought if we separate them maybe the whole thing would be less bulky on that wall.  Next, we looked at it and figured why not flip the top, and separate them? 

We went to Bunnings and started looking at alternatives for materials. We purchased a piece of wood and created a top for the flipped portion. We then went about the arduous task of sanding. Then we used a chalk like texture paint in charcoal. 

Now... windows. We thought glass is overrated (and expensive)! So we went to Bunnings and found some metal mesh, and used this instead, which turned out to be fun with the lights hitting in every direction as well as a very clean industrial look. 

We really enjoyed this renovation and look forward to our next one!

cubboard 1.jpgcubboard 2.jpgcupboard after 4.jpgcupboard after1.jpgcupboard before and after 1 side by side.jpgcupboard before and after side by side 2.JPGcupboard after 3.jpgmain materials for this projectmain materials for this project

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Re: Dining hutch DIY renovation

@Brisypr Firstly, welcome to the workshop community and for your entry to D I Y July. 
What a transformation! I am in love with the mesh panels and the lights add another level of depth. May I ask how you secured the mesh to the back of the cabinet? 
We cannot wait to see more of your work. 

Best of luck with your entry 😊

Sandy 

Brisypr
Building a Reputation

Hi Sandy!

Thanks so much for your comments. We love it! To answer your question, we used short, wide flathead screws. Very clean finish since the mesh squares are small. 

👌

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Brisypr. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this fabulous project.

Well done on the very inspired make-over of this outdated unit. Your ingenuity is very impressive, and I love that you went with the wire mesh instead of glass. How long did this project take you to complete? Also, how did you add the lights inside the cupboard? They really add that little extra wow factor.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about any other projects you currently have going on.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brisypr
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much for your kind words!  It only took a day. Let the paint dry on Saturday then brought it back inside on Sunday afternoon. 

The lights are remote control USB powered light strips. I am also very happy with the mesh!! 

Thanks!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects