Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Door and window redo to open up space

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Door and window redo to open up space

Hi there, me again, we've just moved into our small 2 bedroom duplex - we aren't keen to do any major renovations as plan to rent it out in a few months, but would like to see if there are some more minor (ie. no hugh construction/applying to council etc) renovations we could do to spruce up the place. 

We are really keen to try open up the living/dining area space out to the deck. As it is our kitchen is small and we don't have an indoor dining area - we tend to utilise the deck to avoid cramping up the smaller internal space. We're looking at ways to change/convert the current doors/window structures to open up to the outdoors more. 

We do have a builder whom will help out as neither of us are very DIY (YET:)) but am keen for any recommendations or suggestions for how/what we could do with the space. 

Ideas so far are to convert the large window to a window timber or aluminium white frame French doors (glass) that would open up to the deck. Then not too sure what we'd do with the current sliding doors as we'll have to do something to make sure they matched at least - so do we ensure we make a similar style framing for the French doors or change the sliding doors to timber sliding doors - change to bifold doors? Or would it be strange to have two doors side by side at a corner?

We're thinking of changing the kitchen window too to a servery window + fly screen somehow - and fashioning a timber outdoor breakfast bench. 

Happy for any suggestions - key wish is to open up space and have a flow to our dining area

Also any suggestions for a 450mm white or similar ceramic type kitchen basin either over or undermounted would be amazing. 

Thanks all,

Let me know if you need more information or pics. Cheers. 

?change to external opening french doors??change to external opening french doors?not sure what to do with this one - or just leave and try make it match the french doorsnot sure what to do with this one - or just leave and try make it match the french doorskitchen window ? servery opening windowkitchen window ? servery opening window

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door and window redo to open up space

Hi @renonewbie,

Ultimately I believe the best solution would be to make that entire corner of the house french doors. This includes the sliding door wall and the wall either side of the window. My personal preference would be Bi-folds doors but that is because they can open right up to the frame giving you the largest opening possible. By allowing visual flow to the outside the atmosphere of the whole area will be transformed. In saying that though it would be a fairly major renovation.

Alternatively, you could knock out the whole wall (provided it is not structural) where the window is and install french doors or Bi-folds. You could install some sliding plantation shutters in front of the existing glass doors to obscure them. Obviously you would do the shutters in the same finish as your new doors.

For the servery window, I would keep it consistent and use the same door style as what you are using elsewhere. 

I believe @redracer01 was recently talking about a ceramic farmers sink which might suit and hopefully he can suggest an option.

Let me also mention @2Belindas to see if she might like to share her thoughts on opening up this space.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @renonewbie,

I'm sure the Workshop community would be happy to share ideas and suggestions. 

Do you have a floorplan of the whole duplex that you could share? It would help members to see what you were working with. 

Thanks,

Jason

renonewbie
Cultivating a Following

Hi thanks Mitchell... yes we might explore  bifold options..the window that we'd change to a door though would be quite small double panel bifolds. 

We actually had plantation shutters on both the door and window but removed them as they really ate into the space 😑 and for example at the door could never be fully open to the outside. We do love them though and have them at the front of the space. See pic. 

15993802410227626626142572075404.jpg

Here's a diagram of our floor space. Internal space small but a lovely deck to open to...somehow 😃 

15993805596352153302719133139763.png

Hi @renonewbie 
The first thing you'll need to check is what changes you are allowed to do by contacting your strata manger, as this is a duplex.  Strata may or may not impact your design decisions.  If it is under strata management, you may not be permitted to alter the external appearance at all.

If you are allowed to make the changes, I like what @MitchellMc suggested (bi-folds or triple stacker doors).  If you choose bi-folds, you could have a matching one in your kitchen too.  If stackers, then you might look at a gas strutted awning window for the kitchen.  

If you hate bugs, then you'll have to factor in the cost of retractable fly screens with byfolds or strut hinged windows.  You can have stacker fly screens with stacker doors.
I think that unless you can widen the gaps, I am not sure whether the changes you would like to make will be worth the money it will cost to do them (my opinion only).  I hope I've helped in some way.

Creating a beautiful home on a budget

@2Belindas,

Many thanks for joining the discussion. As always your expert knowledge is truly appreciated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects