Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Full height dishwasher, replace with dishdrawer (cabinetry)

bevanweiss
Getting Established

Full height dishwasher, replace with dishdrawer (cabinetry)

Hi all,

I'm in the process of changing over a full height dishwasher for a dishdrawer unit.

IMG_20210628_140945670[1].jpg

There is already an existing carcass (well.. left/right/back/top) in place from the old dishwasher, and I'd prefer not to remove this if I could avoid it.

However, with this carcass in place, the width of the opening is almost perfect for the new dishdrawer (~600mm), but definitely wouldn't allow enough room for an inner carcass to support the lower and upper 'shelves' that the dishdrawer needs.

My initial thought was to just use some edging boards as shown, but I see that typical kitchen cabinets use plinth feet, which I like the idea of.  However, the kickboard is only ~60mm high, and the plinth feet available from the likes of Bunnings seem to be at a minimum 85mm (Hafele do have a 60mm version, but not stocked by Bunnings it seems).

Any great ideas for how to mount the lower/upper shelves?  At this stage I'm thinking for the upper it would only hold a microwave, so liquid nails and some 60mm screws in through the left hand wall would do the job (the under sink cabinet is on the left, and accessible).  However for the lower I'm less sure.  Are the plinth feet a good idea, or is there a better option?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Full height dishwasher, replace with dishdrawer (cabinetry)

Hello @bevanweiss,

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JoeAzza. I actually agree with your idea of using paint as a primary buffer against water damage. I suggest at least two coats to make sure that it is properly sealed. What is important is that no raw timber edges are left exposed. Once you've painted the edge and placed the panel in, you could add an additional cover to the join by using Selleys 300g Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant - White. I recommend using it on both panels to give you a very watertight setup.  

Thank you for posting those updates and photos. I'm sure it will be a great reference to members who are thinking of putting in a similar type of dishwasher.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects