Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Goodbye to the brown kitchen!

dorabulldog
Having an Impact

Goodbye to the brown kitchen!

When I bought this little apartment, all I could see was BROWN. 

The kitchen was just a giant sea of dark brown timber, and in such a small space it felt quite oppressive. The splashback, rangehood and cupboards, while all clearly of high quality, also felt quite dated. 

My aim was to transform this kitchen and make it more current and fun. However, being on a budget I wanted to re-use as much as possible and retain the kitchen cabinetry and marble benchtop. 

Because I was keeping the benchtop, I needed cabinet colours that would complement the very yellow, creamy marble benchtop. I immediately thought about a shade of green. With some help, I finally landed on Dulux Great Void for the cupboards (with the Dulux Renovation Range primer) and decided to have a 2nd shade, Dulux Coalition to break up the Great Void (as there were just so many cupboards!).

I also added Lane's brushed brass door knobs to all the cupboards, once again to add some depth and break up the paint colour.

After8.jpg

Before2.jpg

Then, I removed the dated yellow glass splashback, the rangehood and cupboards on the side of the rangehood, to put in a new splashback using distressed white subway tiles and oak floating shelves (from Bunnings, the brand escapes me!) to make this space fresher and more modern. Importantly it also opened up and let in a lot more light through the windows!

After1.jpg

Before11.jpg

I also removed some drawers under the stove top, to allow me (or the electrician) to place a new 70cm oven in the spot! Lots of room for roast dinners now! Using some of the old cabinetry, I enlisted a carpenter to help me make a door to cover where the oven previously was (under the microwave), giving me the perfect spot to hide my airfryer and kettle.

After10.jpg

The kitchen with the drawers still in placeThe kitchen with the drawers still in place

After4.jpg

After9.jpg

After13.jpg

Before1.jpg

And just like that, with budget friendly paint, some tiles, floating shelves and a new oven (plus reusing some old cabinetry) I was able to say GOODBYE to all the brown and hello to 2022! :smile:

If you have any questions on the process or thoughts on the makeover please don't hesitate to comment!

Re: Goodbye to the brown kitchen!

Hi @Baretta11 !!

Oh I LOVE your appliance cupboards!!! That's such a clever idea and very efficient use of space!!!! 

Yes I am obsessed with keeping my new splashback looking clean and new - I am in the grout after every cooking session wiping it clean! More work than a glass splashback but I love the look more than the original tiles... 

On the floor, I'm not really sure of the exact process as the acid treatment was done by a professional. All I know is we were kicked out of the place for a week for it to cure but the result has been MUCH better than just sanding alone. 

Thank you again for all your great comments, I've loved the interaction :smile:

@dorabulldog 

Thanks for the kind words and yes I was happy I could do something with those two narrow spots. I wanted some slotted shelving to hold things like bread boards but decided a draw was ample space for what I have and I didn't want silly little narrow draws although they would or could have worked for something but with I think 45 draws in my kitchen, I had ample space for everything I could imagine ha-ha.

Well whatever was done on the floor, I'm very impressed and yes I too have enjoyed the interaction.

Cheers,

Barbara

theparlourroom
Having an Impact

@dorabulldog what an absolutely gorgeous renovation! And you did it without having to rip the whole thing out. I’m obsessed with the bleach floors (so glad you didn’t change them, as they’re gorgeous), and you’re so clever to think of moving the oven and then having the old space changed into an appliance garage. You’ve definitely added so much value to the property, and you managed to do it without spending a fortune (and you didn’t have to deal with not having a kitchen to use for weeks like you would if you’d ripped it all out). Absolute win!!!! 

Hi @theparlourroom

I'm in total agreement with you, it is such a well-thought-out and clever renovation. I can't stop looking at the floors as the bleach effect really draws your eyes to it. I'm definitely adding this kitchen renovation to my bookmarks.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL  I bookmarked it straight away!

I love that you have the bookmark feature now. It saves me having hundreds of links posted in a word document!!

@theparlourroom  I'm so sorry for the delayed response!! Thank you SO much for your kind comments. Yes, my main focus was to keep as much as I could and to make mostly cosmetic changes. I couldn't afford the budget for any major structural changes. I know it's still quite a specific look with all the green but still better than all the brown I think :smile: My favourite bit is the appliance garage and that was a completely last minute decision which I'm so happy about. Than you again for reading!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dorabulldog

I totally agree with you, moving the oven and turning that space into an appliance garage has made the front of the kitchen look very organized.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @dorabulldog this is amazing well done you must be so proud of what you have achieved.

Thank you so much for sharing with us all.

Carl

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects