Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help turn my cupboard to drawers

caren
Growing in Experience

Help turn my cupboard to drawers

Im here to ask for help

the first two pictures are my current 2 cupboards, and I really want to turn them into drawers. The last photo is the idea from ikea lovers Facebook. And I would like to keep my doors, only wants to  change the inside. Thank you so much

1F32CB9F-13B3-4791-AB6A-F7D8D535AEF9.jpeg

529B8445-B4A9-4652-97B4-9542CB6F2F5D.jpeg

63AF0DC1-C1F2-4750-BB8F-0FF71C323D0D.png

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Help turn my cupboard to drawers

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @caren

Do you happen to know the measurements for the internal dimensions of your cupboards? We have lots of very experienced community members who are always eager to share advice. I'd be interested in hearing whether @redracer01 has any suggestions to get you started. 

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @caren 

There are several ways to achieve that drawer functionality you are after. A perfect example is @pete_brig 's drawer transformation effort! https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Kitchen/Changing-kitchen-cupboards-to-drawers/td-p/22912 This is an amazing bit of DIY magic from pete as he deftly made all drawers fit spot on. This is all DIY and can be achieved with the proper tools and materials. But most importantly someone in the house must have the skill and knowledge to build the drawers and make them fit perfectly. Option number two is to place pull out drawer baskets, there are quite a few out there in the market and you can go from cheap to solid stainless steel basket drawers with soft close runners. Placing one on each level will give you that drawer functionality. without having to change doors. Last option is to have a handy man build the drawers for you, but you will have to source the drawer fronts for your new drawers. I hope these suggestions help and give you ideas on how wish to proceed. Should you have the opportunity, please post the interior size of your cabinets and I will try to draw you sketches time permitting. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-02-03 Practa 600mm Pullout Kitchen Basket.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

caren
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much

caren
Growing in Experience

I will measure today but just a bit scare that I will need to drill a hold for drawer rail. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @caren,

We're here to help and can guild you through the process. It would be helpful to do a few practise holes in a scrap of timber before you get started. Always remember to measure twice and drill once. However, you can always fill a hole in the wrong place, so it's not the end of the world.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Install Drawer Runners.  

Please let us know if you need further help or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pete_brig
Making a Splash

Thanks @redracer01  for th shout out 🙂

@caren  you'll probably find th cupboard size is non-standard--the benefit (it can be made to fit anywhere) & downside (nothing standard will fit it) of custom cabinetry. If it is non-standard, you'll have to go with Red's option 1 or 3. You may be able to get a home handyman service to build or install drawers. Or you may be able to go to a custom cabinet maker to make the drawers &get a handyman service to install. Measurements will b key if th cabinet isn't square--unlikely but possible.

Th other downside to doors is th bottom door hinge or th open door if they can't open back far enuf will hinder the drawer. Option is to make th drawer narrower to fit or get rid of doors and use drawers with a face. Another alternative to custom drawers is to use off th shelf ones if they r slightly smaller &pack either side to fit the cabinet carcass but that means wasted space to save dollars.

HTH. Cheers, Peter

caren
Growing in Experience

The video is very useful exactly what I need, thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects