Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with painting kitchen cabinet doors

AB88
Finding My Feet

Help with painting kitchen cabinet doors

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi, so my husband and I are painting our kitchen which had very thick vanish on the timber cabinets etc... we have sanded back, filled in holes and marks as we took off some of the panel borders on the cabinets, sanded again and cleaned and washed thoroughly! We are going to be painting with the Dulux renovation cabinet range and we have put the first coat of primer down which is the Dulux Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour blocker But I have noticed that the parts we’ve filled in have started flaking and peeling??? Do we need to sand all the cabinets with down again? They were smooth with no bumps or flakes before I put the first coat of primer on? Help please!

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: HELP with Kitchen cabinet doors

Hello @AB88 

Can you please tell us the brand and type of filler that you used? Possibly post a picture of the filler container.

Thanks,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AB88. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties painting your cupboard doors. I'm sure our helpful members can assist you in problem-solving the issue. It's great to see @redracer01 has already replied requesting additional information.

It appears that there are two issues here. One where the filler is coming away and secondarily it looks as if some of it is still proud of the surface. 

I've made contact with Dulux to see if this might be an incompatibility issue with the filler. They have not had any issues with fillers in the past and the Precision Stain, Smoke & Odour blocker is a versatile product which can be successfully applied over a variety of surfaces.

As mentioned by @redracer01 it would great to know what filler you had applied. I would also like to know how long you waited after filling and before coating the door. I've experienced a similar issue with cement-based fillers where I coated prematurely and did not wait the required dry time. In my case, the filler appeared dry to touch and could be sanded but pulled out when coating due to the underlying layer still being wet.

We look forward to hearing additional information about the process and finding a solution to the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

image.jpg

Hi, yes we were using the wrong filler but it’s all ok now and the painting results are turning out great!

We are going to be tiling the floor as we have some left over tiles, we’ve just pulled up the vinyl and this is the underneath. Do we need to use an underlay for kitchen tiles? Any advice on the best way to tile kitchen floors with ceramic tiles?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AB88,

It's great to hear you got the filler issue solved and are progressing well with your painting project. For the benefit of other members that come across this thread with a similar issue, could we ask what filler were you using and what filler did you switch to? I trust that information could assist other members from potentially having the same problem.

That appears to be the sub-floor which is compressed fibre-cement sheeting. If there is no flex to it you should be fine tiling straight over. If it is not particularly flat you might want to add a layer of James Hardie Ceramic Tile Underlay 1800 x 1200 x 6mm FC Flooring 2.16sqm.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to lay floor tiles.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects