Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i fix this wall space?

Dani64
Growing in Experience

How can i fix this wall space?

Ive recently installed porta timber strata profile to ends of my kitchen benches which really lifts the space.  But this wall? I dont want to close it in with cupboards up there and i have plenty of space on the opposite wall, but i was thinking of a vj type panel with timber shelves that span almost the whole length (around 2 metres) My question is; where do i stop the panelling? Right to ceiling stopping at splashback edge? Just to top of door and splashback edge which once painted and shelves installed becomes a feature in just this space?  Help! Ive attached pics of my bare wall and my inspiration pics . Sorry its alot!  Cant wait for the feedback/ideas :smile:

IMG_8884.jpgIMG_8856.PNGIMG_8876.PNGIMG_8993.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i fix this wall space?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dani64. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about panelling.

It appears one of the options would be to go from door to door, from their height to the splashback. However, if you were to use the same panelling in the gap on the left from door height to floor as well, I feel it would overpower the cabinetry. I'm thinking of panelling above the cabinetry but wrap the Porta moulding around onto the wall for the space on the left instead. This would be the full height from floor to top of the door. It will create a little alcove where a plant on a stand with lush green leaves could then contrast against the timber. The panelling would then be the width of the cabinetry and not overpower it. There would also be a nice transition of timber from the cladded side of your cabinet to the wall and then onto the timber shelves.

I've included an image to better illustrate what I've described. Obviously, this would be finished off with architrave and your shelves. 

Let me mention @ProjectPete, @prettyliving, @crafthopper and @sjloves to see if they had some suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

The Strata looks great @Dani64 - Porta's new range is fantastic and I've enjoyed installing them so far.

Personally I would do the whole wall in VJ100 and paint it a simple white (I'm a fan of Dulux Lexicon Quarter) so the subtle feature is the groove lines and doesn't take away from the timber feature Strata.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Dani64
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc  ooh interesting idea! i hadnt thought of continuing the porta to the wall. :smile:

Dani64
Growing in Experience

@ProjectPete Yeah its a fantastic product, and with the nail gun super easy to install! so with the vj going full wall area, stopping at top of doors is preferable?

Personally, I'd cover the whole wall. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects