Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove existing fittings to install 2-way undersink tap?

JoJo133
Finding My Feet

How do I remove existing fittings to install 2-way undersink tap?

Would you be able to advise the best way to start removing the existing fittings under my kitchen sink as I want to install a 2 way undersink tap something similar to this tap Brasshards 15 x 20mm Chrome Loose Nut 2 Way Under Sink Tap 

The current intall is very messy and I can only turn off the water to my dishwasher and I would like to be able to turn off the water to both the sink and the dishwasher at the same time.

Thank you

2023-10-18 12.48.48.jpg2023-10-22 08.16.54.jpg2023-10-22 08.17.21.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I remove existing fittings to install 2-way undersink tap?

Hi @JoJo133 and thanks for kicking off another discussion.

As per your previous question, we would first suggest that it might be necessary to engage a registered plumber to complete this work. Your local building authority would be able to provide more information. 

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site tomorrow. In the meantime, let me tag experienced plumbers such as @JDE and @Santullo for their thoughts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JoJo133 

Thanks for sharing your question about modifying the outlet of your under-sink tap. I'm going to have to recommend the same and engage the services of a registered plumber as well. The connections under your sink at the moment are complex and are applying a great deal of weight on the copper pipe coming out of your wall already. Excessive weight could cause the pipe to bend or the joints to crack forming a slow leak that you might not be even aware of.

I suggest asking the plumber to remove most of the fittings and re-arrange them so that there will be less fittings involved. The plus side of this is that it will be done to code, and it will carry with it a warranty.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects