Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a tall hang over the door storage rack for pantry

Maoling
Finding My Feet

How to build a tall hang over the door storage rack for pantry

Screenshot_20200716-143929_Samsung Internet.jpg

I want to have an adjustable 8 tier, over the door wire rack for my pantry.

Screenshot_20200716-143952_Samsung Internet.jpg

It is really expensive to buy online (can't seem to find any in any store), close to AUD200...

The depth between the shut pantry door to the edge of my shelf is slightly over 14cm; the door width, take away the space of the handle is slightly over 50cm, and the door is more than 200cm tall.  I would like to know whether it will be possible to make one myself (absolute beginner without talent) and whether there is any special tools that I will need...

Will really appreciate if someone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a tall hang over the door storage rack for pantry

@Maoling

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you with us. This is a friendly and rapidly growing community full of helpful people sharing home improvement advice and inspiration every day.

I'm sure members would be happy to assist with this project. What might be helpful to get the discussion started is to share a photo of the product you are trying to emulate so members can better visualise what you what to build. A photo of your pantry where you want to install the rack might also be useful. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maoling

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question. You can absolutely make one yourself and there are no special skills or tools required with our amazing range of Flexi Storage solutions. 

There are only a few products you'll need to start creating a hangover the door pantry storage rack- Flexi Storage White Over Door HookFlexi Storage 2133mm White Double Slot Wall Strip and some Flexi Storage 79 x 435 x 70mm Small Spice Shelving Baskets.

In order to get the full-length storage rack like your picture, you will need to cut down the wall strip as it is slightly too long for your door. Cutting the strip to length will be easy to do with a hacksaw. The only other tool you will need is a screwdriver to fix the strip to your door with screws.

I've included an image below of what the finished rack will look like.

Please let me know if you needed further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,

Will go to Bunnings now to get the materials needed!!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Maoling,

Make sure you post some photos when you are done as I'm sure many of our community members would like to see your results.

Please let me know if you need assistance with installing the rack. I'm available to provide advice with anything you need.

Mitchell

Maoling
Finding My Feet

20200725_113805.jpg

20200725_120618.jpg

20200725_121618.jpg

 Tada!!! It is done!  

I think the tract is still a bit too long but that will do.  Can close the pantry door without any problem.  Things are quite secure.  

It will be better if the gaps between the basket and door can be fixed.  The baskets keep on knocking on the door.  

1595651631137764925596233474854.jpg

 Anyone has any idea on how this can be fixed?

Happy happy Maoling!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maoling,

I'm excited that worked out so well for you, great job. You could use some self-adhesive surface protectors similar to Madico 19 x 19mm Clear Square Vinyl Bumper Pad Surface Protectors 12 Pack or Door Silencer Pfeiffer Foam Bumper placed where the basket is making contact with the door to stop the knocking. Another option might be cutting up some Raven 2.5m White Foam Door And Window Seal White and fixing it behind the basket to take up the gap.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects