Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps in kitchen countertop before sealing

kits
Finding My Feet

How to fill gaps in kitchen countertop before sealing

14358C51-02E2-444F-A704-0358196290BE.jpeg

706ADBF8-CB67-4CE3-8BFF-F689F63402E4.jpeg

Hello!

Long story short, I need to fill these gaps between panels of my kitchen counter. It hasn’t been treated yet. I’m leaning towards wood putty but wanted to see if you had differing opinions. 

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gaps in kitchen countertop before sealing

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kits. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If there is any movement in that board, as in it can be pushed further in to close the gap, I would advise using Sikabond 125g Techgrip Multi-purpose Polyurethane Adhesive and clamping it back into position.

If it has already been glued into position and can no longer move then the only real option I can think of would be to fill the gap with wood putty.

Let me mention some knowledgable members @r23on, @woodenwookie and @Brad to see if they would like to join the discussion.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks for the response! Little movement unfortunately so couldn’t clamp it together without taking it apart (it was made very poorly by someone else and we are trying to just work with it). Here’s the finish!

would you recommend multiple coats (despite the product being one coat?)

5D76D5E0-1D9F-4A8E-B6A1-C6EA1B1DBF42.jpeg

A737A801-6C5D-4588-8BBA-DFF93464226F.jpeg

B1E35BB6-472B-4EEF-96DA-F064F37335DE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kits,

The Timber Protect 1L Satin Water Based One Coat Clear Varnish is designed as a one-coat process. I've used it on a coffee table around four months ago and it has held up very well with just the one coat. If you wish to build the coating up with additional layers I would suggest using a product which is designed for that purpose like Cabot's 1L Water Based Satin Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. These products will have details of when re-coating should be applied and how to do so.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects