Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix this leaking plumbing to dishwasher?

DIYDAD5000
Finding My Feet

How to fix this leaking plumbing to dishwasher?

The marked up bit in the images is has started to leak from the bottom. I can see copper oxidation at the bottom too. It feeds hot water to the dishwasher (the black pipe is dishwasher connection).

BB54143B-4B5B-44DD-BD5E-417C2CC48FFD.jpeg

DF3D990B-01AF-4E26-88C0-065FDC2B412C.jpeg

1) what is it and why is there ?

2) Is it something that can be fixed without a plumber? If so, how?

thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix this leaking plumbing to dishwasher?

Hello @DIYDAD5000 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the leak from your hot water line.

On top of the aluminium tag is the valve code that tells you what kind of valve it is. If you are planning to replace the valve, it's important to get exactly the same model with the same pressure rating. 

However, in this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. The valve that is leaking could possibly be a relief valve and is letting excess hot water pressure out. That particular symptom will need to be inspected by the plumber as there might be something wrong with the hot water cylinder.

A thorough inspection will be necessary, and the plumber will make the call if the valve needs replacing.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric. I will get a plumber. The baffling thing is that this pressure relief valve is connected between hot water pipe and the dishwasher. Usually they are connected at the mains or hot water system. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYDAD5000 

You're absolutely right, there must be a reason for the plumber to place this valve so close to your dishwasher. The only thing that comes to mind is that they increased the heating temperature of the tank to provide more hot water. 

However, once you have your plumber do an inspection, I'm sure they'll be able to explain the purpose of the valve under your sink.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects