Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix window sill damaged from water?

divya
Finding My Feet

How to fix window sill damaged from water?

Hi,

This is Divya. I need some advice on how i can fix my kitchen window sill which is just behind the sink. The paint has peeled and the wood looks a bit swollen . Please help before it gets worse. I have attached the pictures Thankyou

16472122566195029515659216502621.jpg

16472122887273341468194476780453.jpg

16472123241549130414559713341834.jpg

in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix window sill damaged from water

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @divya. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about fixing your window sill.

The sill appears to be made from some type of fiberboard, and it's likely to be MDF. Once moisture gets into the MDF, the fibres swell. If the area is dry, the only real option would be coating the exposed areas in enamel paint preventing the water from reaching the MDF. Can you tell if the water that's getting on the sill is coming from sink splashes, or is there a leak in your window? 

If you can identify where the source of water is coming from, I trust our helpful members will provide other solutions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thankyou for your quick response.

The water is from the sink splashes.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You might like to repaint the damaged areas and then apply Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Self Adhesive Film - White Gloss @divya. The water won't be able to penetrate through the adhesive film and will essentially provide a water-proof layer over the MDF.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects