Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to freshen kitchen tiles?

abichan
Just Starting Out

How to freshen kitchen tiles?

Hello i m trying to freshen up my 20 year old tiled kitchen. I painted all cabinet doors with British paint&prime which looks pretty good. Someone just told me i should have painted a protective coat on top which i didn't do. Do I really need it ?

Also how do i put tile over tile in kitchen? 

Please see the picture below. Thanks in advance.

16542504869127564765148047851705.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kitchen tile

Hello @abichan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's brilliant to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your kitchen tiles.

On the condition that your cabinet doors were originally painted timber doors, it is not necessary to put a clear coat on them. However, it is an option that is open to you. If you wish to put a clear coat on them, I suggest using Cabot's 500ml Satin Water-Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish

I propose testing a small painted section of your kitchen hidden from direct view. This is so that you'll see how the clear coat will look after putting it on the panel. If you are happy with the results you can paint the entire kitchen with the Cabot's Clear.

To answer your tiling question, I recommend using Crommelin 1L Tile On Tile Primer to prepare the surface for tiling. I then suggest using Davco 20kg SMP Evo Tile Adhesive. It is formulated to be used in a tile over tile situation.   

You should find these step-by-step guides useful:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects