Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve rusty recycling drawers?

vica
Having an Impact

How to improve rusty recycling drawers?

084F39A5-92DB-405B-8C1B-BC0B31862B78.jpeg

Hi, mates ! This is my dust basket . Any advice help to improve it ? Thank you !

Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve dust basket?

Hi @vica,

You might like to provide a few more details on what you would like to improve on your dust basket. Is it just that you need to replace the bin with a new insert, or is there a project you would like to complete making it more functional?

We would have pull-out waste bins if you were looking to replace the missing insert and unit.

I look forward to hearing more details on your project and offering a solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you! @MitchellMc  Recently I want to improve kitchen cupboard. This is part of it. There are some rust there. I would like you guide me how to do before I go to bunnings.

I think I should measure the old .But which parts I should measure ? 
Vica

FBC836A0-9DF7-42F4-86F8-6C1DD71CDA8F.jpeg

ECDF6ED1-850E-4CE1-BC1C-807CC827FC45.jpeg

B51592C0-1664-4F0A-8A26-022480124CC1.jpeg

A31CCE08-28F0-4B13-B57D-2C98C3E5DDD4.jpeg

33F8CC36-E8E2-448D-A872-658AB185D1ED.jpeg

745A84D3-A251-4E62-92A6-8186E003A92A.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the additional details, @vica,

It would be best to start by sanding the rusted areas back with 120 grit sandpaper to remove the bulk of the rust before coating them with Bondall 250ml Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter. This will bind the rust and prevent it from continuing to corrode the surface. Once the rust is prepped, you can spray the surfaces with Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Gloss Spray Paint White.

You will get the best results if the rusted section is removed for this process. There will be rust hidden in the area where that piece connects to the rest of the frame which should be addressed simultaneously.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you so much @MitchellMc . 
Vica

Hi,@MitchellMc ! I find a product in your first reply .Maybe I can replace the pullout waste bins with this product .wish your further guide.Thanks!

Vica

14775D96-88A9-431F-B7D1-0BFE089EE69B.jpeg

4E10533B-3026-4CF0-91CE-8A8B057785CD.jpeg

FAE31721-5918-4355-A993-932730DBAB60.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vica,

The Practa 2 x 20L White Pullout Waste Bin is a standalone unit that sits inside a base cabinet. It is designed independently from the door, unlike your bins. This unit needs to have a separate door attached to the cabinet with hinges. You would open the door and then pull the bin unit out by hand. A unit similar to your current arrangement would be the Hafele 2 x 38L Dark Grey Pull Out Waste Bin. This unit is designed for a cabinet width of 450mm.

Mitchell

No

@MitchellMc I see. I think painting is best Thank you so much and have a nice day

Vica

@MitchellMc Now I have finished the renovation of dust bin. After winter , I am going to paint cabinet doors. So appreciated of your patience , and wonderful help!

5A1439E8-2EFF-4ABD-88F3-5D8D30D05AF8.jpeg

 Vica

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks much better @vica! Well done, I'm sure you've added many years onto its life.

I can't wait to see your cupboard door make-over. Please take plenty of pictures to share as you go.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects