Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install drawers in an existing cabinet?

Toby1
Growing in Experience

How to install drawers in an existing cabinet?

Hi all

We have this odd built-in wooden box in our sunroom (see pics). It has a loose slab of timber on top as a sort of lid, but it is very heavy and awkward to get on and off (and of course we have a tendency to put stuff on top of it). As a whole, it is not functional and we badly need extra storage space.

To make it functional, I have had the idea of installing drawers in it. My brief thought was that I could find appropriately-sized Kaboodle base cabinets to sit inside it, and cut holes in the front for the drawers. I could reserve the timber from the holes to make front plates for the drawers.

The dimensions are:

• Top slab 59.8 x 212.9 cm
  • Inside height about 54-55cm
  • Interior dimensions about 191cm (length) x 46cm (front to back)

The only problem with this plan is that I'm not great at woodwork and haven't done cabinetry before! Bunnings people, is this plan doomed to failure?

Thanks for your input

Toby.

PXL_20210811_033144610_2.jpg

PXL_20230108_225251996.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install drawers in an existing cabinet?

Hello @Toby1

Thanks for sharing your question about putting drawers in an existing cabinet. Your proposal of putting in Kaboodle drawers is definitely possible. However, the drawback to putting in the cabinets is their size. The Kaboodle drawer cabinets are set to default sizes and you would only be able to fit in single drawer systems. If you were to put two of them on top of one another it would be taller than your existing cabinetry.

Another option is to dive straight in and attempt to build drawer sides. This will allow you to install the Kia Ora 120 x 400 x 450mm Vinyl Wrap Drawer as a possible solution. It is a tad more involved, but it allows you more freedom for configuration. You will need to install a drawer bottom and cut out a drawer front for it but at least you won't have to build it from scratch.

Your other alternative is to build this drawer set from scratch. This will allow you to dive deeper into D.I.Y woodworking and increase your knowledge of tools and equipment. You can install soft-close drawer runners and make it as posh as you like. You can decide how deep and how big the drawers will be. By doing this project you'll be able to create more drawers in the future.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Toby1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric! I take your point about the awkwardness of using default sized drawers.

Another potential solution has suggested itself, and one that might be less taxing on my woodwork skills: remove the front of the cabinet, reinforce it if necessary, and reattach it with hinges along the bottom edge, a catch mechanism at the top, and some way to prevent damage if it were to fall open (a short chain perhaps, or discreet rubber stoppers). This would be simple and allow easier access to the space inside. We could just slide some tubs in there for storage.

Drawers would be better, but this might be 'good enough'. What do you think?

(EDIT: Even better might be to cut the front panel into [say] three sections, and hinge each of them.)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Toby1

That is an excellent idea, it's definitely less work than trying to make half a dozen drawers. I recommend reinforcing the panels with timber so that you can use larger hinges. I suggest the larger ones such as the Hafele 105° Full Overlay Soft Close Clip-On Hinge - 10 Pack. Although you won't be using all of these hinges it's cheaper to buy them as a pack. You can always use the extra for another project.

I've placed an example below to show you what it might look like. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Toby1
Growing in Experience

Ended up going a simpler route with this, and this is the finished product. I removed the front slats and the support structure, reinforced the 'lid' with the removed bottom beam so that you can still sit on it, boxed in the ends with the slats I took off to make it look neat, and gave the concrete floor three coats of paint. Finally, we might put a little colourful curtain on there on a cord just under the lid, to hide the contents from view.

PXL_20230121_022111362.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Toby1

Thank you for the update on your cabinet project. The open storage system is definitely easier to manage. Once you have that cord and curtain in place it will neatly hide all the stuff you have under the seat.

Eric

hi @Toby1 

I faced a similar issue with cupboards in the kitchen. I took the more challenging route of building drawers but noted that if that's too hard, it'd might be possible to get a cabinet maker to create them with you to assemble.

Here's a link to my project for when you want to upgrade further :wink: And thinking about this I just recalled that i had previously bought a TV cabinet & repurposed it for storage of soft clothes (undies, winter wear etc) at the foot of the bed by making & fitting drawers (no photos).

Cheers, Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects