Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint Terracotta tiles in kitchen?

HelenHOF
Just Starting Out

How to paint Terracotta tiles in kitchen?

Hi Everyone.

I am new and looking for advice to paint these terracotta tiles in my kitchen splashbacks. Will keep the main white tiles as is. The terracotta tiles appear to be 'raw' but the small pattern in the middle is glossy white. I want to paint in a med/dark grey colour. Looking for advice on what I need to buy to do all the prep work and paint and what to do!

Thanks

Tile.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Terracotta Tiles in Kitchen

Hello @HelenHOF

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure having you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your terracotta tiles.

I suspect that there is some form of glazing on top of those terracotta tiles. Just to be sure can you please wipe the tiles down with a very damp cloth. If the colour of tile changes to a darker hue then it is raw, however if the colour stays the same then it is glazed.

If it is glazed you can use either White Knight Renew Tile Paint or Dulux Renovation Range. However, if it's not glazed then you'll need to use a primer such as Dulux 300g Duramax Terracotta Primer And Sealer before you apply the tile primer and paint.

Due to the mixed nature of the tile a sealer must be applied to the raw terracotta.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint bathroom tiles

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects