Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh this kitchen cabinet?

Lyndi
Just Starting Out

How to refresh this kitchen cabinet?

IMG_8281.jpeg

I tried to paint these white. It turned out horrible. I scraped it off. Needs more sanding. 
I can’t find cabinet doors the same size and white to replace them. 
I am thinking of covering them in vinyl. Like the Kmart small Reno. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to refresh this kitchen cabinet?

Hi @Lyndi 

I used to do this professionally

Take all your doors off  and measure any  fixed  panels. Search for how the fixed panel come off.  Or some fixed panels can be simply over covered if that works too.

Go to a  kitchen custom builder and ask them to make you whole new panels and doors  including the  hinges recessed holes identical in size and dimentions to your existing doors. Even  ask them to put handle screw  holes in but you might decide on better new handles  to  complete your look.  They  can  door  beautiful new doors no doubt in  different styles.

You will have a new kitchen for fraction of a full makeover.

You can  refit them  back in your home.

Bunnings  has Kabooddle panels if they  fit your measurements.  but I cant see laminate  tape to cover   edges if you have to cut a panel down to size. 

Or re make you cupboard fronts doors out of  real timber. 

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately Bunnings sizes do not match. 35cm wide, 72cm length and, 2cm depth. 

I think I will take the doors off and sand them again. 
I've been checking what ikea and Bunnings have on offer. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lyndi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about refreshing your kitchen cabinet doors.

I'm sorry to hear that your first attempt at painting your doors did not turn out as you expected. It appears that the doors might have a very tough finish on them, and the paint did not adhere to the surface properly.

I suggest using Dulux Renovation Range laminate door primer and paint. This paint system is specifically designed to go on top of laminated surfaces. 

It is very important that the surface of the laminate door be sanded down properly so that the primer can grip onto the surface of the door. Enough time must be given to the primer so that it cures properly. Applying the top coat too early produce a lumpy surface.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular kitchen projects

Here are some amazing painted kitchen cabinet projects our Workshop members have shared:

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects