Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove circular base wall mounted faucet?

TechieInTrade
Getting Established

How to remove circular base wall mounted faucet?

Hi, I need to replace the kitchen sink faucet but I can't use a spanner as the faucet base in circular and slippery. It's too tight to come off with bare hands. What tools should I buy from bunnings to remove it?

How can I remove it?How can I remove it?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove circular base wall mounted faucet?

Hello @TechieInTrade 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your kitchen faucet.

In the interest of safety, please remember to turn your mains water off to avoid accidental flooding. Make sure to notify everyone in your household that you'll be turning the water off while you make repairs to the kitchen faucet.

Somewhere along the base of the spout is a grub screw access point. It is sometimes very small and is often covered with grease making it almost invisible. When you locate this spot, you'll need to use an Allen key to remove the grub screw that is holding the spout in place. Keep the grub screw in a safe spot so that it does not get lost.

To remove the spout, you'll need to pull it upwards to disconnect from the wall base. It might be necessary to wrap a rag on the spout if it is very slippery. Once the spout is removed you can now turn the wall connector without hitting the sink or benchtop. 

Please note that it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, consult your local building authority before starting.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @TechieInTrade 

"I can't use a spanner as the faucet base in circular and slippery"

I've assumed you can't budge the wall plate?

And once off - we're throwing it all away and replacing it?

First suggestion - as per Eric above.

Second suggestion - turn the spout to the right and use it as a lever - and rotate to the left - anticlockwise. If achieved - swing it back to the right and repeat...

Scan1351.jpg

If still no success - please let us know. 🙂

(*Disclaimer - I'm not a plumber)

Thanks Eric, using a pipe wrench worked for me. I still couldn't locate the grub screw so I ended up cutting the top part of tap using an angle grinder.

Hi Noyade, using a pipe wrench worked for me. I tried to use the spout as a lever but it felt like it wasn't strong enough to hold the pressure so I ended up cutting the top part of tap using an angle grinder.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TechieInTrade 

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that you've managed to remove the spout. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the new faucet set? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what your new taps look like.

Eric

I used an extension this time to easily maneuver and replace the tap if needed in future.I used an extension this time so that it is easy to maneuver and replace if needed in future.I used an extension this time so that it is easy to maneuver and replace if needed in future.

Great to see you got it sorted @TechieInTrade and many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects