Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate and add storage to kitchen?

Mwilson
Getting Established

How to renovate and add storage to kitchen?

image.jpg

image.jpg

AB915B0A-7134-47B8-A349-88736E8C6115.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So my kitchen ,dining area and kitchen is all open. I have no cupboard space. Where my fridge goes the height is very different. Then my pantry is absolutely ridiculous and so silly it’s in the lounge and so tiny. I have just brought my house and want some advice on what I should and where I should even start I want photos of what I should do or explanations of what I should do please help lol. Thank you :smile: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renovate and add storage to kitchen?

Hello @Mwilson

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your kitchen layout.

Your kitchen has so much space. There is so much potential for a better layout. Before I make my recommendations, would it be possible for you to answer some questions about your kitchen?

• There's a door next to your pantry/microwave cabinet, is that a pantry as well or is it access going towards another room? I was wondering if we could remove it or relocate it to get better use of the space in your kitchen.

• There is some sort of window on top of your refrigerator space, can this wall be removed or is it housing something important to the house? Is it covering ducted air conditioning? Is it part of a pantry or cabinet on the other side? Can this entire wall be taken apart? 

• Would it be possible for you to post the measurements of your kitchen and kitchen walls? This will allow me to draw you some basic ideas on how you can reposition your kitchen cabinetry. It will also let our members offer you recommendations on where to locate your pantry.

In regards to your pantry in the lounge, I suggest leaving it there and repurposing it for something else. The ideal space for your pantry is in the kitchen not in the lounge room. Renovating your kitchen is an involved process. A partial renovation can result in a half baked affair where you can clearly see where the old kitchen ends and the new kitchen was haphazardly pasted on. Sometimes you're better off with a cosmetic makeover where your kitchen doors are painted and a new benchtop placed on. But of course, it does nothing to improve your pantry situation. 

If you currently don't have the resources for a full renovation, I suggest waiting until you're ready. You can then have the kitchen you've always wanted. I recommend having a look at this guide - How to plan a kitchen renovation by @Adam_W. This guide will give you show you the basic elements you need to consider when planning a kitchen renovation.

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular kitchen projects

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mwilson 

Looking at the pictures you've posted, I suspect you've got a great deal of space. With that in mind, I've drawn up a design that takes advantage of all that space. Please enjoy the layout and once you have a chance to get those measurements we can fine-tune the design. If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to re-arrange it for you.

Eric

Mwilson kitchen1.jpgMwilson kitchen2.jpgMwilson kitchen3.jpgMwilson kitchen4.jpgMwilson kitchen5.jpgMwilson kitchen6.jpgMwilson kitchen7.jpg

Mwilson
Getting Established

Hey @EricL first of all one word WOW!!! That’s incredible what u done I love the layout of my dream kitchen. Really it’s beautiful!!!! Thank you. Could you throw another idea together please :smile: the space above where the fridge goes is nothing important just little cupboard space. The door in the kitchen leads to my laundry / 2nd Toilet, my other bathroom and linen cupboard. There is also another door to access the backyard through that door :smile: 

Mwilson
Getting Established

Ok so my measurements for my kitchen on the Realestate app are 5.8m x 4.0 meters. I’ll attach some old photos of kitchen it’s exactly the same but may be clearer. 

85933EDE-E40D-4088-A72C-41E1249BADCC.png

9E00C2CE-9233-4755-813F-7AFE0D54DB82.png

483D7C30-C25B-425A-8F59-A9735AD900C1.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mwilson,

It's wonderful to hear you're excited about the layout @EricL has put together. Eric will be back on the site this afternoon, and I trust he will be more than happy to fine-tune the design for you.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mwilson 

I've adjusted the wall at the far end to 4 meters. Adding more cabinets to your existing kitchen will not really give you extra benefits except maybe more storage. I've maxed out the drawers near the cooktop. Moved your oven to a tower along with the microwave. Other than that your next choice will be cabinet colour and benchtop finish. 

The difference between the two drawings is that the first one has the most number of pantries. I suggest bringing the drawings to your local store and speaking to the In-store Kitchen Expert. They'll be able to quote you the kitchens I've drawn up for you. Just remember to bring your pictures and measurements to the store.

The cabinet colour at the very bottom is Danish Blue combined with Essential Stone 40mm Round Creative Stone Benchtop - Carrar Marfil.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Mwilson kitchen1a.jpgMwilson kitchen1b.jpgMwilson kitchen1c.jpgMwilson kitchen1d.jpgMwilson kitchen1e.jpg

Mwilson
Getting Established

Thanks mate I love it!! I now need a quote on all of this can u help me out ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mwilson

There are many factors involved with pricing your kitchen. But the most important one is wall measurement. Before I recommend going to your local store, please make sure that all your walls, windows, doors and extensions are measured as accurately as possible.

The other factors will be door type, colour, appliances and benchtop type. 

I've placed a detailed plan of your kitchen below to help the in-store kitchen expert assemble your quote. You can also show them the sketches I've drawn up for you. Once they see this diagram they'll be able to assemble your kitchen quote including the benchtop and installation. 

Please note that the wall near your door where the refrigerator is only an estimate. Please make sure to measure that side as well.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects