Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace seal between dishwasher and cabinet?

stewarta
Finding My Feet

How to replace seal between dishwasher and cabinet?

IMG_5181.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg

Hello Bunnings community.

Ive recently bought an apartment and to save money I plan to do as many DIY projects as I can. I’m pretty handy but not knowledgeable with the names of materials. I would like to replace the seal between the dishwasher and cabinet as it is no longer staying in place. Does anyone know the name of the product I need to buy? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rubber seal strip?

Hi @stewarta,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It appears the installer has used a t-shaped rubber extrusion glued to the wall as a seal. 

I can't see that Bunnings stock a rubber seal exactly like the one you have, but there are shower seals that could be modified slightly to fit your purpose by removing unnecessary fins to create that "T" shape.

You could modify the shower seal with a good pair of scissors or a utility knife, but please be careful and wear gloves and protective clothing if you decide to cut them.

Once modified, you could install them with Parfix 300g Clear All Purpose Silicone to recreate the water proof seal.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Noyade, @Dave-1, @DIYGnome.  

Let me know if you require any further assistance or have any other questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to replace seal between dishwasher and cabinet?

Afternoon @stewarta 

mmmm you have me thinking about the seal, Any chance of a photo from a little further back? I cant figure out if its a seal for the dishwasher itself or to stop vibrating between the dishwasher and the cabinet? I am wondering if its just wedged ther to stop the "ghhhhhhh" sound when the dishwaser is running and vibrating against the cabinet. 

If you search google for "1 Meter T Shape Silicone Rubber Sealing Strip T Bar Gap Weatherstrip Slit Strip" what looks like the strip is there. I am just not sure it is a waterproof fitting or an antivibration one.

Dave

stewarta
Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob and Dave.

Thanks for your responses.

@Dave you are correct with thinking its wedge between the dishwasher and cabinet and not a waterproof seal for the dishwasher itself.

I was thinking it was more cosmetic than functioning for sound insulation. You might be right though. 

The reason I would like to replace it on the right side is because it has harden and is no longer staying in place at the bottom.

I will get you a better picture when I get home from work.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @stewarta 

Since part of the seal is loose, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the end of the seal so that we can see its profile? This will give our members a better idea of its shape. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@stewarta 

Straight away I started thinking of weatherseal type deal to do the same job? Tho as @EricL suggests a pic of the end piece would help steer us in the right direction.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects