Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a rusted old stove?

jridgeon
Finding My Feet

How to restore a rusted old stove?

Hi, 

I have an old stove in our kitchen that we’d like to restore. It is quite rusted and I was wondering what product might be best to prep it before painting. Would the Bondall 250ml Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter be suitable? 

93DF408C-DE56-4E46-9A73-48BFCCEC93B0.jpeg

Thanks,

Jaca 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore a rusted old stove?

Hello @jridgeon

Thanks for sharing your question about restoring a rusted old stove. Before you attempt restoring the stove, I suggest checking if it's still in good condition. There could be parts of the stove that have totally rusted out. However, if the stove is still in sound condition, I recommend sanding it down and removing all the rust and paint that you can take off. 

I propose using 120 grit sandpaper and a Trojan 5x15 Row Stainless Steel Wire Brush. Some of the rusted spots can be very difficult to remove and I suggest using White Knight 0.125L Rust Guard Rust Converter. The beauty of using the White Knight Rust Guard system is that they are a linked system. But it doesn't mean that you have to follow the entire step-by-step system. 

Since you've roughed up the surface of the old stove, your next step is to convert the remaining rust on the stove and prepare it for priming. I propose using White Knight Rust Guard Quick Dry SLS Etch Primer Paint - 0.5L. This prepares the surface for painting and provides a rust-inhibiting barrier. Once the primer has cured you can then use the White Knight Top Coat to paint over the stove. It can be tinted in dozens of colours so please choose carefully before making a decision.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects