Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tighten new but loose mixer tap

Rusmer
Finding My Feet

How to tighten new but loose mixer tap

My old kitchen mixer tap was leaking so I purchased a new Mondella sink mixing cadenza on 15 February 2021 and fitted it to the sink. The spout swivel is very tight and I can not tighten the tap strongly enough so it soon works loose. what can I do? Do I need to get a stronger person to tighten the tap bellow the sink. Is there an adjustment to slightly loosen the spout so it rotates more freely? Is the unit faulty? It is not working as it should so should I return the tap and replace it with another new tap?

Re: How to tighten new but loose mixer tap

As per Rusmer problem above

How do I tighten loose mixer that has a plastic cover which is difficult to get too

vale is a Nero brand

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Joseph72,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about a loosely mounted mixer.

I've sent a query to Nero tapware and informed them of your issue. I've asked them if there is a specific tool that you can use to reach and tighten your mixer. As soon as I have a response I will let you know. While we wait for a reply can you possibly post a photo of your mixer and the bottom part of it where you can't reach it? 

If you had a quick read of our recommendations, I would still suggest using the IRWIN Telescopic Basin Wrench. However, if the space in your current area is very restricted then we may have to find another way to tighten it.

If you need more information please don't hesitate to post.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric.

Thank you for your efforts regarding this issue. I have owe find the problem.Thanks again
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Joseph72

My apologies for my late reply. I have spoken to Nero about your tap and I was informed that there are no special tools to tighten it. I'm glad you found a solution.

If you need assistance with anything else please let us know. 

Eric

siany
Just Starting Out

I'm having this exact problem - I was hoping there'd be a solution but it sounds like I need to replace the unit! Did you swap yours for the exact same one or did you find a different unit altogether?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @siany. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

If you've installed the tap correctly and adequately tightened the plastic locking nut, then it sounds like you might need to swap the unit over. You can try holding the handle on full lock at hot or cold and swivelling the spout, as this might be enough to loosen the spout. They can be quite stiff to start with.

Also, remember to include the fixing rubber and fixing washer before the fixing nut. Without them, the locking nut won't hold the body of the tap in position.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @siany,

Just wanted to also extend my own warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust Mitch's response was very helpful. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We're here to help.

Jason

johntin
Just Starting Out

Nope.  Can't get enough purchase on the plastic fixing not squeezed up between 2 sinks to tighten it so it won't turn with the spout. Useless design. The previous design which had a clamp held in place with a stud and nut was much better.

Mondella are cheap and we get what we pay for. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @johntin 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

If the Mondella tap is too difficult to install in the confined space, I recommend exchanging it for a kitchen tap with a flange installation system like the Estilo Chrome Side Lever Sink Mixer WELS 4 Star 7.5L/min. This tap uses a crescent shaped steel flange and a threaded post to hold the tap in position. A Haron Mixer Tap Spanner Kit is used to tighten the locking nut under the sink. This will save you from having to squeeze your hand into the tight space of the sink.

However, if you are looking for another model of kitchen tap, just make sure it uses a flange installation system. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects