Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen bench clad in Pine planks

Carmel1955
Having an Impact

Kitchen bench clad in Pine planks

20230217_145900.jpg

20230217_153508.jpg

(1) original kitchen..(2) kitchen bench painted black...(3) bench then covered in vinyl planks

20230217_175607.jpg

(4) bench now covered in pine planks

20230217_175735.jpg

laminate was first painted in cream now recoated in "crackle" effect paint

Moved into house Nov 21...been playing around ever since!

Wait time for a new kitchen was very lonnnng!!! so had a go myself.

Finally happy with actual Bench.  Recently changed the paint again on top.

After nearly 12 months it had marks and stains so tried "crackle "effect on top hopefully to disguise any future marks etc.

A bit of experimenting before attempt and lots of google videos!

Crackle paint involves a base coat then covered by pva glue then topcoat....when glue and paint dries you achieve the "crackle" effect.

Used the original cream painted benchtop as basecoat.. sanded and applied glue. You have to work pretty fast on such a large area but achievable...then painted with topcoat..used aquenamel gloss white...just because i had it! ...let dry for at least 24 hours so crackle can take effect.  Lightly sanded again and have applied 3 coats of cabothane clear gloss varnish. Maybe should have used something that dries harder.  Any suggestions? 

I do use boards that I have placed stick on felt to bottom so they glide over benchtop. Still have rest of bench to complete....maybe next week!  Also made lazy susan from 600 ml round piece of timber that I found at Bunnings for $10 a couple of months back..bargain.  Mounted on big W white cake stand! $18.

Floor holding up too. Chequerboard effect achieved with stick on vynal tiles. Check out my original posts from early 2022.  Some people say I have too much time on my hands!!  5th attempt maybe just a new benchtop...

20230217_143411.jpg

  

20230217_143645.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 4th Iteration of Kitchen Bench

Hello @Carmel1955 

Thank you very much for sharing this awesome benchtop revamp project. It looks absolutely amazing and what really impresses me is that the effect can be achieved with a bit of PVA glue. The Cabothane clear gloss is a polyurethane sealer that's been designed for furniture and I'm quite confident that it can stand up to everyday use. Because you've used three coats it should be very strong, however it will take a lot longer to dry. 

Again, thank you for sharing your wonderful benchtop project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects