Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen inspiration needed please

bobby1985
Getting Established

Kitchen inspiration needed please

Hi everyone, I have a small kitchen, the kitchen is in one big room that has a lounge and dining area all in the same area, the kitchen doesnt work, and I was thinking of making it more a U or L shape, in the following pictures the red area is where my fridge is, so it's blocking half the sliding door, would love some ideas of how you would change this around, thank you 

IMG_20210616_223957.jpg

IMG_20210616_223933.jpg

IMG_20210616_223814.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: kitchen inspiration

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bobby1985 and thanks for reaching out to the community with your project question.

Let me tag @MitchellMc, @EricL, @diy_hausdesigns and @tom_builds who may be able to offer suggestions to kick off this discussion.

You might also like to check out our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects to get ideas for your space.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Re: Kitchen inspiration needed please

Hi @bobby1985,

Welcome to the community!

It certainly looks like whoever designed that kitchen didn't really use one all that often. The doors surrounding it make it quite a tough space to work with. Might I ask where the door next to the pantry leads to? 

My first thought would be to move the pantry against window and create parallel benches with one from the pantry to the doorway and the other from where the oven currently is to across from the doorway, while removing the bench where the current sink is. Unfortunately that would involve replumbing the sink and oven (if it is gas) and that could push the budget up, but it would give you two decent length sections of bench and room to use the complete length of both of then. I like the use of parallel benches over u-shape where suitable as u-benches created tight corners that waste good working space. The fridge could go between the two doorways.

Thanks for sharing your question! 

Thank you for your input never thought of that as an option, that's great, the door to the left is entrance to a bedroom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bobby1985. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about kitchen design.

It's great to see @tom_builds has already provided some wonderful ideas. I've had a bit of a play, and I feel this design could work. You'll need to sacrifice the pantry cupboard, and the stove will need to be relocated.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

Beautiful that's exactly what I was thinking in my head but seeing it in picture is beautiful, much more workable just fantastic 

Hello @bobby1985, I'm glad you've received some very informative suggestions from @MitchellMc and @tom_builds about the layout for your kitchen.

I see the former owner has designed the area as an open-plan space. However, the drawback is that it has now left you with very little wall space for tall cabinets. Just to add to the ideas that have been suggested. I propose building a wall for the fridge and pantry cabinets. I've built the wall specifically just for the pantry and fridge. The wall will still allow ambient light to pass through from either side and not completely block off the other side of the room. Please enjoy the pictures and we look forward to seeing your kitchen once it's complete.

Red

bobby1985 kitchen1.jpgbobby1985 kitchen2.jpgbobby1985 kitchen3.jpgbobby1985 kitchen4.jpgbobby1985 kitchen5.jpgbobby1985 kitchen6.jpgbobby1985 kitchen7.jpgbobby1985 kitchen8.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

This is amazing I just can not thank you all for your help to open up my mind how this can be achieved 

Looking forward to seeing how you can transform the space @bobby1985. Please keep us updated as you make progress. And don't hesitate to post if you need further help along the way.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects