Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen sink mixer installation

rogeryeoau
Finding My Feet

Kitchen sink mixer installation

Have purchased a Shaw & Mason Sink Mixer (40 mm ceramic cartridge) from Bunnings and installed following directions. All good except that easy installation instructions say that the locking nut should be hand tightened. It's a little awkward to get at, and I'm reasonably strong but I cannot seem to get it tight enough so that it doesn't unscrew itself as soon as it is swiveled a couple of times. I have tried several times ... appears ok but when I move the spout back and forth it just un-does itself. Is there a trick to this? Or can I use some sort of fixative (ie. silicone) to set it in place. Obviously that will make removal at a later date more difficult, but will solve the problem for a few years (hopefully). Cheers for advice.Shaw&Mason locking nutShaw&Mason locking nut

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kitchen sink mixer installation

Hi Rogery.

Is that locking 'nut' plastic?

Is there enough room for a large pair of multi-grips positioned at an angle - for that added twist?

I feel for ya - I really do - I hate being under the sink.

Re: Kitchen sink mixer installation

Cheers ... have tried that and the answer is no ;-(. I will try again though.

S & M mixer tap

Hoping/thinking I have solved this ... loosened the grub screw in the handle and lifted it just a tiny bit so that there is no friction between the handle and the base (plastic collar). The (contrary to instructions), used the handle to just tighten the whole unit another quarter turn and it appears to be tight enough to stay. Handle turns independently. Geez, at age 70 I might just get my plumbers ticket yet! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: S & M mixer tap

Hello @rogeryeoau

I'm glad you found a solution to fixing your tap. The type of kitchen tap you purchased is usually installed before the sink is fixed in place. One other way to tighten the kitchen tap to your sink is to loosen the sink clips and remove your sink from your benchtop. You'll then be able to properly tighten the sink mixer using multi grips.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects