Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with designing a small U-shaped kitchen

Flash66
Getting Established

Need help with designing a small U-shaped kitchen

IMG20230518173934.jpgIMG20230518174028.jpgHi Guys

We are on a limited budget and renovating a small 2-bedroom one bathroom cottage. The kitchen is now stripped out and i need to plan a kitchen layout.

rear wall with window is 2700mm with 450mm wall on left of window and 400mm wall on the right side.

Right wall is 2500mmm long

Left wall will have the doorway filled in and can ne up to 3500mm long (3750 to door opening)

We would like sink under the window, and room for a dishwasher.IMG20230225144253.jpgIMG20230225144258.jpgIMG20230225144318.jpg0_9-lowther-st-russell-island-qld-australia_0.jpg

stove top with oven underneath and range hood on left side

Right side room for large fridge and pantry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help with designing a small U-shaped kitchen

Hello @Flash66 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about designing your kitchen layout.

I understand that this is both an exciting and stressful time for you as kitchens don't get renovated that often. I understand that you want the cooktop on the left-hand side, but I'm afraid that it will eat up too much of your cabinetry space making it an ungainly layout. 

However, I will make another render with the cooktop on the other side. As soon as I'm finished, I'll post it here as soon as I can. 

This is a balanced layout with a midsized pantry that allows you to have a large 900 3-drawer cabinet. It's then followed by a blind corner cabinet then an 800mm base unit which is right next to the dishwasher. This is the ideal spot for it as it is right next to the plumbing utilities. 

It's then followed by another blind corner cabinet then the oven and cooktop base and finally a 600mm 3-drawer base for pots and pans. A 200mm base cabinet is placed at the end for large serving trays and miscellaneous kitchen items.

Please have a good look at the sample sketch and tell me what you think. If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

I also suggest having a look at the Top 10 most popular kitchen projects for ideas and inspiration.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving , @lifestylebymari  and @redbournreno  for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Flash66 kitchen1.jpgFlash66 kitchen2.jpgFlash66 kitchen3.jpgFlash66 kitchen4.jpgFlash66 kitchen6.jpgFlash66 kitchen5.jpgFlash66 kitchen7.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Flash66
Getting Established

Hi Eric

Love the design and we are really grateful. I was looking at having the tall ie fridge and pantry on the right so I could look at fitting an island bench project timber timber style leaving a 700mm entry what are your thoughts. 

Flash66
Getting Established

Hi Eric the more i look at your design the more i like it , are the timber dining table and cupboards built out of the project panels? And also, could you give me a rundown of what cabinetry i would need to order please.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flash66 

Hold that thought because I just finished your revised kitchen layout. Have a look and see which one is to your liking.

Eric

Flash66 kitchenA.jpgFlash66 kitchenB.jpgFlash66 kitchenC.jpgFlash66 kitchenD.jpgFlash66 kitchenE.jpgFlash66 kitchenF.jpgFlash66 kitchenG.jpg

Flash66
Getting Established

Hi Eric both are great designs, I just wondered if the second design could have the dishwasher next to the sink, if so I think the Second design might be the go. As you can see on the floorplan for the house it is a small house so need to maximise space

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flash66,

There's likely not enough cabinetry room to have the dishwasher next to/under the sink. However, @EricL will be back after the weekend, and I trust he'll add to the conversation.

Mitchell

Would it be possible to get a run down on what cabinets I would require 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flash66,

Let me mention @EricL for you so he can let us know the cabinetry he has used in his design.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Flash66 

Below are the cabinets I used for your second kitchen design.

The microwave cabinet and the book case cabinet are custom built using SpecRite 2100 x 600mm 26mm Timber Panel Okoume FJ Laminated. However, you can use other timber panels at the store if the Okoume is not available. It's then just simply a matter of varnishing the cabinet with your preferred sealer.

I suggest bringing the kitchen design to your local store and asking the In-Store Kitchen Expert to quote the cabinet list. They can then include all the accessories such as door type, handles, hinges and benchtop to the quote. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects