Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting kitchen cabinet doors - Dulux Renovator range

VanessaL
Growing in Experience

Painting kitchen cabinet doors - Dulux Renovator range

Hi community!

Looking for advice on the Dulux Renovator Range to paint wood cabinet doors. Would love to know what the difference is between the whites and what other tools are needed to complete the project. This is the current state of them. 

E729B58C-98D8-47A8-AA1C-866097260883.jpeg

Many thanks

Ari
Having an Impact

Re: Painting kitchen cabinet doors - Renovator Range

@Caron - I painted my laminate cupboards and they came up well (not as nice as @stevem's kitchen though !).

Here's a before and after.  I wasn't brave enough to paint both sides at the same time so the job took me four half days altogether.  I did this three years ago with White Knight Laminate and Tile paint.  My kitchen is 25 years old, all in good condition just ugly colours.  I did two coats and it's lasted well, though we don't have kids.

Definitely do a trial and learn on the back of one of the cupboard doors, but otherwise I found this an easy job if you're capable of removing and replacing door hinges and handles.  I used a roller and a brush for the awkward parts.  About $250 all up.

Before

Old Kitchen.jpg

After

New kitchen.jpg

Caron
Making a Splash

Oh wow - that looks brilliant, amazing how a colour can change things. I love how fresh it looks! Great job and thanks for the tips!

newbie23
Building a Reputation

I have laminate cupboards and just finished painting them using the Dulux range. 

Was time-consuming as I painted both side and separately. 

Washed them about 4 times before starting to paint.

Found the White knight laminate cleaner the best for this. 

Be careful with the primer as I found it a bit thin, so tended to run a bit on application. 

Otherwise I was really happy with the product. 

Here are some before and after. D203F1FA-136F-4B35-AE01-528A1A9F0F2C.jpeg

C6A86CED-4EE5-4F91-8FEE-185EB36D1600.jpeg

63C74ACE-232E-43D8-BF82-42F8260FECDB.jpeg

A793E400-0061-4AF8-B775-7F8C31393A68.jpeg

Thanks so much Steven for your tips. I haven’t started yet and will let you know how I go. 
your information is great and easy to follow.
does this work as well on varnished doors. 
cathy

stevem
Cultivating a Following

Cathy,

Should be no problem.

Dulux renovator range has a FAQ.  Google search " dulux renovator range faq" and it will be a pdf download (they don't seem to allow link posting here).

My cupboards were lightly stained. From Dulux FAQ and my (limited!!) experience.

1. Clean with sugar soap+++. Must be absolutely no kitchen grease or paint will not adhere.

2.Fill any holes

3. Sand lightly but remove any vanish shine or loose bits. An electric hand sander is great investment!

4. Get the surface as smooth as possible. My need repeat steps 2 and 3.

5. "When coating timber doors that are aged and may have breaks in the original coating what is likely to happen and how do I apply a fix?

Aged timber doors will have usually have been previously painted with a clear coat. Wear and tear on the clear coat will generally cause, chips, breaks and wear spots in the coating, exposing the underlying timber. Renovation Range has no tannin stain resistance and will sometimes show signs of tannin staining in the first coat.

To eliminate the tannin stains, apply a coating of the Aerosol version of PRECISION Smoke Stain and Odour Blocker. This can be applied to areas where breaks in the original clear coating are detected prior to starting to paint with Renovation Range Cabinet Doors." REF Dulux FAQ

6. The undercoat finishes fairly rough and needs to sanded smooth, prior to the topcoats. Because I had a big kitchen and didn't want spray everywhere when doing the side panels, I applied the undercoat with a roller rather than spray. Maybe the spray gives a smoother finish??

Hope that helps.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"my cabinets are laminate, not timber so I’m now reconsidering my whole approach."

Wow!

They really do look like solid timber.

At that point I was thinking Porter's Chalk as a finish...

https://www.porterspaints.com/paints/speciality-finishes/chalk-emulsion

This was an old wooden TV cabinet that I turned it into a sorta display cabinet and painted with Porter's chalk and a polyurethane finishing coat - "no preparation required".

Not sure though how durable it would be on wooden kitchen doors?

Chalk Finish.Chalk Finish.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to have you join in the discussion and receive such helpful replies @CathyO. We are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your kitchen. Please don't hesitate to post if you need further assistance, and please share before and after photos if you proceed as it really helps and inspires others.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
stevem
Cultivating a Following

Looks Great. Modern look. Love the colour.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Painting kitchen *(bathroom )cabinet doors

@Ari   Doesn't it give you such a buzz, that self satisfaction feeling of doing something your self when you look back and it's all done?  Looks great.  This is what I've been doing with my bathroom and kitchen. Slow but steady.. 

I changed the way I was going, a little as with my kitchen as it's old, but still in reasonable repair.  I'd planned to paint the cabinets and replace the bench tops.  Most of the kitchen cupboards are either too high of to hard to reach.  So half of the cupboards are now draws for ease of use, which I've painted most of. Still have the cabinet doors to paint.  They've been replaced with MDF so could paint with gloss paint, no fiddling about.  Still have lots to do.  Haven't got the bench tops finished but the bathroom ones came up a treat.   This what I did with my bathroom vanity area first, replace large bench top and bowls and took out massive mirror, replaced with smaller round ones and repainted the tiles.  I still have the cabinet area to paint but can't decide on the colour so went on with my kitchen.

Before make~overBefore make~over

BeforeAlmost readyAlmost readyPreparing the live edge slab.

Looking good  :)Looking good :smile:

Ripping things outRipping things outRipping out the old vanity top

Opps upside downOpps upside down

Kept the cabinets as they are dated but in good nick ~ will paint at a later date.upside down but you can get the gistupside down but you can get the gist

Bench tops and new taps and bowls installed.  Have since put up new mirrors and painted the tiles.  Still have cabinet doors to paint ~ still trying to pick a colour.  :smile:

Now the kitchen, still very much a work in progress.

Before ~ looks great, but sadly painted with house paint and most of the paint has worn off in patchesBefore ~ looks great, but sadly painted with house paint and most of the paint has worn off in patches20200914_233657.jpgChanged space under oven to drawsChanged space under oven to drawsDecided to change cupboards to drawsDecided to change cupboards to draws20201105_145549.jpgDraws made from MDF easy to paint after sealing.Draws made from MDF easy to paint after sealing.Decided to replace the door fronts with new MDF also.Decided to replace the door fronts with new MDF also.MDF draws and (door fronts) into where I mostly had shelvesMDF draws and (door fronts) into where I mostly had shelvesCut out the small cabinet that held the jug and toaster to give me more flowing bench space ~  When I get the new bench tops completed!  Work in progress.Undercoat - sealerUndercoat - sealerUmm more purple than the blue I'm looking for so back to Bunnings paint section.  They are amazingUmm more purple than the blue I'm looking for so back to Bunnings paint section. They are amazingNow this is more the colour I'm afterNow this is more the colour I'm afterVery happy with the colourVery happy with the colourShould look good when I get the live edge timber bench tops in.  And paint the rest of the cupboard doors.  Just a bit over painting and prepping right now.

Great to see an update @Old-gal24!

They look stunning and I trust you are very proud of your efforts. A fantastic choice on the sinks.

I'm really excited to see all your hard work paying off.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects