Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Reno 1950's kitchen

katew164
Growing in Experience

Reno 1950's kitchen

Hi,

I'm looking to update my 1950's kitchen. The most annoying things are the glass cabinetry over the benches and narrow bench space. Plan is to replace the bench tops - would prefer with timber but not sure how it would go with floor colour. Install new wall cabinetry, replace sink. In order to make the benchtops wider, do I need to do a waterfall edge to ground for stability? CurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentNew format potentiallyNew format potentially

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Reno 1950's kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katew164. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Do you plan on fully renovating the kitchen at a later date and replacing the lower cabinetry as well? If so, I would consider what changes you are making now and how that will affect future layouts. 

I don't think timber benchtops would have any conflict with the timber floors, perhaps you might like to pick a timber which is similar to the floors or alternatively pick something that contrasts with them. It will depend on the amount of overhang as to whether you will need a waterfall edge for support. Bear in mind if you overhang in front of your current drawers you will lose a certain amount of functionality in accessing them. 

If you could provide some room dimensions some of our helpful members like @redracer01 might like to contribute some designs for you.

We look forward to assisting you with this project and can't wait to see you get started.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
katew164
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc . No plans to fully renovate and the drawers have double sided access so not worried about functionality as I only access from one side. Floorplan dimensionsFloorplan dimensions

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@katew164,

Thanks for the additional plan with dimensions. By removing the glass cabinetry and installing new cabinetsbenchtops and a sink your kitchen will certainly have a new lease on life. In regards to the allowable over-hang on the benchtop, do you have any styles or types of benchtops that you are interested in? There will be different allowance depending on your chosen type and I would be happy to assist in finding that information if you had some details.

You might also be interested in having a look at these inspirational D.I.Y project articles Rejuvenate your cabinet doors with Dulux paintFresh start kitchen and How to renovate and modernise your kitchen

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I understand if you want to modernise @katew164 but just wanted to let you know that your cabinetry would be in demand by those of us who love the 50s and the retro aesthetic. Make sure if you get the kitchen removed that it is not damaged so you can resell it. It could really help pay for your renovation work as I'm sure it would be in demand. 

katew164
Growing in Experience

That's a great tip thank you @Isobel !

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @katew164 

Can I possibly bother you for a few more photos? Preferably where you plan to put the fridge and a photo of the current kitchen but much closer with all the cabinets in it. 

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @katew164 

I'm in total agreement with the plans you have in mind, however there are a few things that's come to mind that may prove to be bothersome as you renovate.

- Your 1950's bench top, pretty much bullet proof with that aluminum side strip. You can hit that bench top edge with a can of peaches and it won't blink an eye! However it is sized at a non standard depth. Most of the bench tops from the 50's were around 450mm to 550 in depth. Same with the cabinets and accessories such as your sink. You will have to do a bit of hunting to get a sink that will fit in that non standard cabinet.

- Plan : Remove the old bench top and replace with a new one. Can be done but it would have to be rip cut along its length so that it will not over hang so much so that it fits the current cabinet depth. In regard to your question, you won't need a waterfall edge at the end for stability. The overhang will not be so great that your cabinet becomes unstable.

- Removing the floating wall cabinet. Nothing and I mean nothing gives your kitchen its distinct look and feel of the 50's than that floating wall set. Taking that out will diminish the signature look of the kitchen and it will look and feel incomplete.

Plan : Remove the floating wall cabinets and add new ones to the wall possibly remove the other shelves on the other side as well and put new cabinets on. There will be a very distinct difference now between your new shiny wall cabinets and the old painted base units at the bottom. Your kitchen is now in an identity crisis, is it trying to be new and keeping its look or is it a half way renovation that will eventually end with a totally new kitchen.

In these instances I recommend a "step back and ponder" moment. @Isobel has made a very sound suggestion of selling the entire kitchen to 50's collectors. By doing what you are about to do and that is to modernize in bits and pieces it will devalue the possible selling price of the kitchen. Doing half a renovation is not recommended in this particular situation. You end up with parts that are old and parts that are new and they don't look well together. I'm sure someone out there has done an amazing job with a half "n" half, but I am not a big fan of those. I suggest to sit on it and wait until  you have the proper budget for a proper make over. Now there may be circumstances that I am not aware of for the renovation, but if you hold off and wait for the proper moment the end result will be much better and you won't regret spending money on a proper renovation. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

p.s. By the way I could not help myself I've drawn you a suggestion below with a little bit of 50's flavor added in to a new kitchen.  Don't forget to put in a Sunbeam Mixmaster to complete the look.

Turquoise was all the rage back then and looks even more vouge with modern cabinets.Turquoise was all the rage back then and looks even more vouge with modern cabinets.The answer is "Yes" there is enough space on both sides of the island for you to walk through.The answer is "Yes" there is enough space on both sides of the island for you to walk through.That cabinet where you were going to put your fridge is now the pantry.That cabinet where you were going to put your fridge is now the pantry.katew1644.jpgkatew1645.jpgkatew1646.jpgJust in case your wondering the island is 1.8 meters longJust in case your wondering the island is 1.8 meters longkatew1648.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

katew164
Growing in Experience

Thank you @redracer01 - that does make a lot of sense and I do agree. New question - where is the best place to sell used kitchens? Gumtree?

Hello @katew164 

Let me tag @Isobel  perhaps she may know of a good way to sell your existing kitchen. I agree gumtree comes to mind when selling.

Cheers,

Red

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects