Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Studfinder locating metal all over the wall. Want to drill and put up shelves and spice racks.

JenniferDunmill
Just Starting Out

Studfinder locating metal all over the wall. Want to drill and put up shelves and spice racks.

I bought an Ozito stud finder recommended by the Bunnings assistant to locate metal pipes and any electricals that might be behind this plastered wall in the kitchen (the apartment complex is built from large clay bricks). However, when I set it to deep or metal, it beeps as if there is metal located in the entire/whole wall, which doesn't seem right to me. I do understand that there would be some electrical running through certain areas of the walls. On the exterior of the wall, there is a set of external stairs and there is a handrail with a few metal supports connected to the wall. 

Any ideas about why this could be happening?IMG_20200829_183744.jpgIMG20200829182711.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Studfinder locating metal all over the wall. Want to drill and put up shelves and spice racks.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JenniferDunmill. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Can I please confirm that you have calibrated the unit to the wall type as per step 3 in the product manual. I ask because an uncalibrated unit will signal detection constantly as you have described. If you have completed the calibration step I would be more than happy to contact Ozito tomorrow for you to find a solution to the issue.

Please let me know if that solves your issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Studfinder locating metal all over the wall. Want to drill and put up shelves and spice racks.

Hi @JenniferDunmill,

I'm just checking into to see if you had a chance to run that calibration and if the unit is now functioning correctly for you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I followed the instructions to calibrate the unit on an area that wouldn't contain the target material and continued to hold the button as I moved the device along the wall.

Several people have told me that they don't work on masonry walls, in which case I the device shouldn't have been recommended by the sales person.

I think I will return it to the store.

Hi @JenniferDunmill,

I apologise that the Ozito stud detector is not suitable for masonry walls and that it was incorrectly recommended to you. Might I suggest the Bosch Universal Detect Wall Scanner which is appropriate for detection of studs, metals and live wires up 10 cm depth in plasterboard, brick and concrete walls.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects