Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tool trolley come kitchen island

Karlster69
Cultivating a Following

Tool trolley come kitchen island

I recently completed this kitchen island project base on an Ultimate Storage 42" 7 draw matt black tool trolley. The ideal was to take the concept of the steel tool trolley into the kitchen to provide for extra storage while adding a larger table top in order to allow seating for eating and entertainment. The table top was made from an Interbuild 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia solid oiled hardwood panel that I had cut in half at my local Bunnings store. I then cut 4 lamellas off of the length of one of the panels and biscuit joined it onto the other panel to increase its width. With the timber edge of the previous cut exposing the pale raw timber it was impossible to consider matching the oil finish so I was very happy to take the project to the next level by sanding the panel right back to bare timber to allow several washes of Feast Watson Prooftint Oak stain with the final wash mixed with a few drops of rosewood to provide the final red tint that I was ultimately looking for. Following this process I then laid several coats of Feast Watson epoxy resin to seal the whole panel, a process taking a week and then affixing the newly finished panel after removing the original rubberwood top from the cabinet. Lastly, I swapped out the bulky industrial look castors for Move It™ 100mm rubber castors to match the bench height of the existing kitchen as well as providing a smooth and silent roll on the tiles. Adding a couple of stools finishes the look and the results speak for themselves.

IMG_1343.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tool trolley come kitchen island

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Karlster69. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

That's a terrific bit of innovation right there! Our members never cease to amaze me with the uses they find for project panels. Your project is another great example of this.

How do you plan on laying out the draws? I know I'd be reserving one of the shallow draws to have all my kitchen knives laid out ready to use.

Many thanks for sharing your project and we look forward to seeing what else you are working on around your house and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Karlster69
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

The draws from the top are... cups, glasses and six often used plates (cups & glasses lined up at the back to keep the weight over the castors) RH side - cutlery draw, appliance accessories, pots in the bottom. LH side - kitchen implements, wraps & foils, baking dishes & spring forms in the bottom. Weight distribution was a concern before we filled it so a lot of thought went into the top drawer plus, a bit of tinkering around was needed to get the layout just right. Careful consideration of weight distribution means we won't come close to having a disaster and for anyone doing this please think carefully about weight at the front of the drawers as too much, or too many open at one time will result in the entire cabinet falling forward and hurting someone and we don't want that to happen.

Thanks Mitchell.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love it @Karlster69. Congratulations and many thanks for sharing. I have featured this on our Project Gallery and are confident it will inspire many Bunnings Workshop members and visitors alike.

Welcome to the community, we are looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand with a project around the house or garden.

Jason

artrato3
Cultivating a Following

I always wanted to do this!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @artrato3,

I trust @Karlster69 would be happy to provide guidance if you wanted to complete this project yourself. I'm also available if you need help.

We no longer carry the black version in our stores. I'll make contact with the manufacturer after the weekend so see if it can be special ordered. There is a very attractive Ultimate Storage 56" 10 Drawer Tool Trolley which features a hardwood benchtop and stainless steel body. I wonder if Ultimate Storage saw @Karlster69's project and decided to add something similar to their range?

Please let us know if you need any help or had questions.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @artrato3,

I've followed up with our supplier and stores Australia wide will receive the Ultimate Storage 42" Matte Black Tool Trolley in the second week of January next year. 

Please let us know if you'd like to complete this project and if you need any assistance. We look forward to seeing what you'll create.

Mitchell

I recently bought the 1.8m tool trolley, for a kitchen island. I'd love to attach to the current benchtop another 30cm or same width panel that can fold down. So it can be used as a breakfast bar when needed. Would there be anyone at Bunnings who could assist with that? Any assistance would be great, from what kind of timber (same as the tool trolley benchtop, not sure what that is), getting it cut to size and then right type of hinges or fold down brackets that could support the weight. 

Absolute beginner here! Thanks so much :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @marinacraig

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your own tool trolley island.

The good news is that you can purchase the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel from the store. You'll need to purchase two of them if you want to have a folding breakfast bar. The store team will be more than happy to find the parts for you. However, you'll have to find your own handyman to cut the benchtop and assemble the island for you. 

I suggest using a Carinya 300 x 145mm White Spring Loaded Folding Bracket - single for the folding part of your benchtop. It's spring-loaded to make it easy to lift up. It can be attached to the tool cabinet using a Hex nut and bolt combo. I recommend checking the size of the holes on the bracket before purchasing the nut and bolt.

The final step is to sand and seal the benchtop. I recommend having a look at @Karlster69 painting instructions if you're aiming for the same finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric

That is awesome! Thank you so much for all the details. 

This is the trolley. (Absolutely beautiful, highly recommend it!) I was hoping to keep the existing benchtop and add a panel to it. Do you think this hardwood laminated panel would work, as the colour seems to be more like the current trolley. 
Bunnings has a "Custom Benchtop Installation" service, would they be able to assist with the cutting and install?

Thank you so much for helping a complete newbie! :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects