Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Acacia desk and storage for working from home

maccifo
Cultivating a Following

Acacia desk and storage for working from home

Hi there,

I have been thinking for a while to do an upgrade on our spare room with a small office desk. We have a day bed so I figured that the optimal configuration would be to have a long desk that I can also use for storage.

With the current COVID19 restrictions, I actually expedited the project.

Therefore, I bought myself a Acacia Solid board (2200 x 600 x 26mm) on Bunnings. Great and cheap alternative.

20210801_143009.jpg

For now, I used old legs and a did a 70x45mm Treated pine structure to hold the desk. However, my goal is the following:

• Seal the board and perhaps fade it a bit with white paint.
  • Install white timber legs
  • Install white timber structure
  • Install a mobile storage under the desk

My first question for this project is how to seal the board properly with a cheap and easy alternative. It is great timber (which has been slightly oiled) but is currently very porous and rough. 

maccifo
Cultivating a Following

Re: Acacia Desk and Storage Working From Home

Design for the supports would be similar to the one attached (very rough).

maccifo_0-1627793405178.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Acacia Desk and Storage Working From Home

Hello @maccifo

Thank you so much for sharing your Acacia Desk and Storage project. 

The 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel has an oil seal on it that can be sanded away. I suggest using the Ozito ¼ Sheet Orbital Sander to get a nice even finish on the top and bottom of the benchtop. If you are after just a clear sealer I suggest using Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It is rated for benchtop use and will provide a solid cover, even with everyday use. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your desk built and ready for use.

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Computer desk build by @Nham 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects