Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Antique tallboy revamp

Wendyjoyhall
Building a Reputation

Antique tallboy revamp

This big boy was a massive job.  Lucky my husband in good at  carpentry! Early days of my interest and probably too much but it came back n to life nicely. Some might say I should have left it in a mitre original state but that's not what I do and it was pretty wrecked.  The timber was cedar and a lovely reddish colour appeared when stripped and sanded. I did the drawer fronts by hand with lots of measuring and Frog Tape! Covid gave me loits of time.  Original hardware cleaned and returned though one handle was damaged but we improvised and you can't really notice.  Had to make a new top from some old timber I had. 

20200603_155442.jpg

20200511_145145.jpg

20200511_145134.jpg

20200603_155425.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Antique tallboy revamp

Amazing results, @Wendyjoyhall and another wonderful piece. I really like the attention to detail you've shown.

The clean lines that Frog Tape has provided are really impressive. Do you have any tips on getting clean lines? I've started doing a stipple coat of paint to seal the tape edges before laying my paint coat. I tend to have the most bleed-through when applying a heavy paint coat.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I agree.  Always go lightly on the first coat to avoid bleeding.  It's just patience I guess and I get really excited when ideas emerge and come to life.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wendyjoyhall

That tallboy looks great. If you didn't mention the new top for the cabinet, I would have assumed that it was part of the overall structure of the cabinet. A fantastic repair job all around.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects