Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedside drawers upcycle

Ranirecycled_22
Growing in Experience

Bedside drawers upcycle

68B0413B-804F-4DF8-BBA6-FF8A11A92D12.jpeg

A9F7F798-A36D-41C0-9DF5-A437FAA3ABD8.jpeg

  

I purchased a dated set of pine bedside drawers and upcycled them. First I removed the draw facades and knobs and then removed the top and cut off the beveled edges. I sanded back to the raw pine and then painted  2 coats of British Paints water based prep 4 in 1 primer sealer undercoat-sanding between each coat . Then I finished with 3 coats of Porters Paints Eggshell Finish In Riverstone. I ended up using Feast and Watson liming white to ensure the pine wasn’t too yellow. Sanding inbetween.  I purchased wooded tapered legs and half circle handles from Bunnings also. I cut the tapered legs in half. Removed the screw and replaced it with fluted dowels. I drilled holes in the bottom and used Sellys Aquadhere PVA wood glue to attach the legs. 

9C8C5F98-205C-48AC-8EA3-8247751AEDC1.jpeg

Ranirecycled_22
Growing in Experience

Re: Bedside drawers upcycle

DIY July for this post!!! 😊

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Ranirecycled_22,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have decided to join and share your bedside drawer upcycle project with us. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice on all tings DIY and garden. Some of our members' projects make it into our Top Ideas page like our upcycled buffets article, you may find your project on there one day. 

Your bedside table finished beautifully, how did you cut the bevelled edges off? Any words of advice for someone looking to tackle their first upcycle project?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your message. I am very lucky that I live in a townhouse community and my neighbour has a woodworking set up in his garage. He has a power saw and when ever I need items cut precisely I ask him to do it for me in a matter of minutes. Any words of advice would be when you are looking on various sites for second hand items makes sure you always ask about what kind of materials the furniture is made from eg pine, oak, particle board, MDF etc. It helps to know how additional items such as bench tops, handles etc are fixed, it can make a difference to how easy or difficult the job is. For example, when I removed the front pine facade from each drawer and was left with the basic drawers I found that one of them was joined differently and not as deep as the others, so I had to improvise and use a another piece of wood from an old IKEA shelf I had saved for a rainy day. You can see the middle drawer wood grain runs at a different angle, which I thought gave it an interesting and different look. Also make sure you have extra wood of the same type around to trial any stains or techniques. I had to trial different stains and finishes to ensure the pine on these drawers didn't turn too yellow. Also, make sure they look at as many inspirational sources as possible to get a concrete idea about how they want the finished product to look. Pinterest and Instagram has a huge range of ideas.

Hi @Ranirecycled_22

Really great advice to ask about the materials when buying second hand and to make sure you have additional materials on hand or be prepared to purchase some. I agree that having a tester piece of wood is super helpful! I really like how the middle drawer wood grain goes the opposite direction, giving it that added interest. We hope Workshop will be included on your list of inspirational sites to visit for your next project. If you ever need assistance about Workshop, feel free to send me a message. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lifestylebymari
Making a Splash

This is fantastic, thank you for sharing it with everyone. The before and after it just unbelievable. From experience feels so good upcycle older pieces and give them a new life, so well done for what you achieved. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects