Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Blackboard paint

Gwandalan_Tales
Building a Reputation

Blackboard paint

Hi everyone,

I need some advice about blackboard paint. We recently made the decision to convert my husbands “man cave” into a playroom for our daughter. We want to paint one of the walls with blackboard paint but want to ensure it doesn’t darken the room too much. Has anyone got some advice on choosing the right wall? Should it be opposite a window? And once the right wall is chosen any advice on the best paint and any hints or tips on getting the best finish?

Thank you :smile:

Andie

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Re: Blackboard paint

I painted a plaster wall in my kitchen with chalkboard paint and it doesn't really do the job! The chalk is impossible to remove and I find that it leaves a written shadow even after I have washed it off. It really doesn't look great and I'm planning to remove it at some point.

I would recommend attaching something to the wall first - maybe mdf or plywood? This should ensure a smooth surface!

Nice tip @KingStreetReno, the plasterboard must be too uneven a surface. Typically I've seen blackboard paint used on kitchen cabinetry and pantry doors like the pic below.

CBDoorEx1_.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I see from your latest post that you painted the wall @Gwandalan_Tales. Are you happy with the end result? Any tips for other community members who might like to do something similiar?

Thanks again for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jason We ended up sticking with our original plans to paint directly onto the wall and see how it went. We put 3 coats on and it looks great, we haven't had a chance to activate the chalkboard yet by coating the wall with chalk and removing it! I'll let you know how that goes :smile:

Thanks for the update @Gwandalan_Tales. I'm sure other community members will be inspired by what you have done.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@KingStreetReno - try cleaning your blackboard with flat coke. It may sound ridiculous but it works.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects