Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i glue the gyprock to wall directly? If not which steel frame required to install gyprock?

Lamsar
Finding My Feet

Can i glue the gyprock to wall directly? If not which steel frame required to install gyprock?

Hi, Everyone

I need advise to select correct and cheapest material including steel furring, track, adhesive, screws and gyprock available at Bunnings to cover my existing brick wall in bedroom and living room, which I want to DIY cover with gyprock. please suggest the tools required as well.

Need advise on how to complete this project spending less but using good material.

Thanks

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can i glue the gyprock to wall directly ,if not which steel frame required to install gyprock.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: can i glue the gyprock to wall ,if not which steel frame required to install gyprock.

Hello @Lamsar,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about gyprock.

It's great that you've received some advice from @Brad. The link he's provided actually has a shopping list of the materials you will need to attach your gyprock. This guide should help Installing Gyprock plasterboard - How to plan, prepare and measure up.

Another option for you would be to render or hard plaster the wall. I suggest this step-by-step guide: How to hard plaster a brick wall. Depending on your time and budget both options will work for your brick wall. 

Let me tag experienced members @Adam_W and @diy_hausdesigns for more recommendations.

We look forward to seeing your project begin, if you need more information please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: can i glue the gyprock to wall ,if not which steel frame required to install gyprock.

Hi@Eric,

Please advise if I can get a steel frame to screw the gyprock instead of using adhesive and stick to the wall.please mention the recommended frame material I can buy from Bunnings.

Thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Lamsar,

@EricL will be able to assist further when he's back on the site on Friday. Did you find the guides he shared helpful for your project?

Let me also tag @tom_builds to see if he can offer any suggestions. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Knauf 51 

That is the lowest profile for a non load bearing wall, you will need a top and bottom track fixed into place and steel studs are friction fitted into the track.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lamsar 

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Brad. Using the Knauf Steel Wall Stud is the ideal product to use if you don't wish to bother with glue and timber. Knauf light gauge steel studs are used in conjunction with a steel track to provide a framework for internal, non-load bearing wall structures. The track is secured as a top and bottom plate and studs are spaced evenly between. 

Here is a handy guide to help you with installation: 

I recommend measuring your wall, for you to estimate the number of pieces you will need to complete your project. We would love to see your project once you begin. I'm sure our members would appreciate any updates you can provide.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects