Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

IMG20210213151548.jpg

IMG20210213151631.jpg

This is my new project. Just restoring it. I stripped the veneer off the top last night. I also took out the broken glass panel from the door and the smaller broken panel on the left side. 

I'm just wondering what stain and varnish to get for the finish? Below is a chart for wood types. I'm look for a light yellow birch finish. I think that is the closest match to the color. What do you think? 

images (46).jpeg

There are some minor scratches and scuffs on other parts of the cabinet. I am actually reluctant to touch it. No sanding back if not needed. I'm wondering if I should use a mixture of actually just rubbing some if the scratches out with a microfibre cloth and a liquid solution I have here? 

For the deeper scratches and scuffs I'm not sure what to do yet. Any suggestions? Remember it is veneer. Thank you. 

Re: China Cabinet, what stain and varnish?

Hi @MitchellMc 

Oh thank you for giving me this extra information. I am using oil base only. I didn't know Bunnings provided this service. It's good to know. Thanks for the link too. I will keep updating as I progress. Having a break today ass too much going on. 

Cheers 

Wouldy

@MitchellMc 

Planning on heading to Bunnings today. Do you think I should also get the French polish and apply it once I've stained/varnished?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wouldy,

French polish would be a stand-alone finish and is not used in combination with a stain and varnish product. I'd encourage you to work with the stain and varnish products for this project, and in the future, you might like to restore an item with French polish.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

Thanks for your advice. I wonder what you would suggest for the left panel side of the cabinet. It has come away from the wood and is quite loose. I am not sure if I should go with just super glue or a wood glue? Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd likely need a few more details on the issue to advise on a suitable product @Wouldy. Can you show us which panel is loose and where it has come away?

You might like to consider Selleys 460ml Aquadhere Durabond PVA Wood Glue as it is a polyurethane glue and stronger than standard PVA wood glue.

Mitchell

I actually think that is the best glue you have suggested considering what I will be using it for @MitchellMc 

Ok if you take a look at the pictures, you can see that both panels on the side are leadlighted and glass. The panel on the left hand side has actually come away from the wood at the top. So it is interior not exterior. The panel is very loose as a result. I am not sure what caused that to happen, but there is no other damage internally around the area that I can see. So, I just want to secure that panel to the wood before I replace the glass that needs to go back into where there is missing glass. I hope that helps it easier to understand. 

Wouldy 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wouldy,

If you can squeeze some glue between the panels and then clamp them back into position, I believe it would hold. You might like to add a small Carinya 25 x 25 x 20 x 2mm Zinc Plated Angle Bracket internally, fixed into the top and side panel for additional support.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

I will consider the brackets. Unfortunately I cannot clamp the panel because there is not an option to clamp it to anything. Just not doable. I do not have a lot of money and I am buying a fair few things today from Bunnings. The glue you suggested I believe would actually be perfect, it just does not suit my price range at the moment. 

@MitchellMc 

I have made a mistake. I felt uneasy about doing this. Should have listened to myself. I put a wood filler into chips. I sanded back the other half of the table this morning and of course it has left its white markings behind. 

What is left of it of course clogs up my sandpaper. I'm pretty annoyed with myself. I have sandpaper left but want to save that for other jobs to be done. 

Any suggestions on how I can fix this, possibly without having to go to Bunnings today. 

IMG20210220063558.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy,

Can you please let me know what wood filler you've used? Wood filler is normally a soft material that sands easily, and I'm not sure why yours would turn white. Can I also see the sandpaper you are using? If it is a pad for a machine, you can generally wash the clogged material out with warm water and dishwashing detergent and then allow them to dry.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects