Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Closing Back of the rack & Dowel Pin

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Closing Back of the rack & Dowel Pin

Hello Members,

Hope you are doing good.

I would like to buy ( a sheet / cardboard ) from Bunnings that closes the back of the rack and fix few dowel pins for adding more shelfs [ Photo as below ].

The width of the rack is 80CM and the height of the rack is 98cm. 

Rack.jpeg

Can you please advice the link for

1. The correct item that closes fully the back side of the rack. 

2. Dowel Pins ( the holes measure 3mm in diameter - on my measuring tape)

I am planning to nail the sheet / cardboard for permanent placement and the plan is to use it as a shoe rack. The proposed sheet / cardboard on the back will prevent front edge of the shoes making dirty marks on the wall. 

Looking forward for your concern to make above rack usable for a purpose.

I hope I can make this rack useful with your proposals as 'It is always easy to throw. But difficult to make'.

Best Wishes

M.Muthu.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Closing Back of the rack & Dowel Pin

Hi @nagumuthu,

The product CustomWood MDF 3mm 2440 x 1220mm White Melamine Backing would be suitable for closing in the backside of the rack. If you take your measurements with you into a store the helpful team members can cut the sheet to the correct size for you.

The dowel pins in your rack seem to be smaller than a standard size of 5-6mm. The easiest option might be to drill out the existing holes with a Ryobi 5mm HSS Drill Bits so they accept standard shelf pins.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

3mm pins are available through Ebay if you want to avoid drilling.

Thanks MitchellMc. Will try your proposals.

Thanks Brad.

I have an update on this post.

Completed this project with 'Corflute' as the backboard. https://www.bunnings.com.au/project-panel-white-corflute-1200mm-x-900mm-x-3mm_p0390161. & trimmed it to suite the shelf. Used Pins (https://www.bunnings.com.au/taskmaster-5mm-pin-white-plastic-shelf-support-20-pack_p0035580) for the support. [ which seems to be cost effective for the purpose )

Shoe Rack.jpeg

I have MDF boards which I'm planning to trim it to required size for adding an extra shelf.

1. May I ask on which tool to use for trimming MDF boards;

1a. What tools I need for that. Something to clamp the board ( I have a Kinchrome tool box with 7 drawers and can any clamps be mounted on it to hold the long MDF board for trimming purpose)

1b. Tools to trim it.  I am also planning to make some wooden shelfs, which the tool can be made use off. 

Looking forward for your comments.

Thanks.

MM.

Hi @nagumuthu,

Great work completing your project.

You can use either a handsawjigsaw or circular saw to trim MDF boards. You can also use any of these for your shelves, but you'll get the best result with a circular saw. If you open the top drawer of the toolbox, you could use an Irwin Quick-grip to hold the MDF to it.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

Hello Mitchell,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Cordless Circular Saws -  Considering future jobs that might require trimming timber, I would like to procure a tool that is universal for all wood materials.  The ease of use of 'cordless' is preferred even it is not having much power as 'corded saws' ( I hope so).  I would like to confirm at bottom line that cordless circular saws perform the cutting operation on all wood materials. Will cordless do the job.

2. I opened up the tool trolley drawer to infer the feasibility of fixing the clamps for trimming timber. Looks it can be done. Thanks for the idea. I have not envisaged this before. Noticed that the drawer is sliding on bearings at both ends. While trimming the wood, will it cause any damage to the slide bearings.

Thanks

MM

Hi @nagumuthu,

Personally, I have the Ryobi One+ 18V 165mm Circular Saw - Skin Only and find it efficient in cutting all wood materials. I would highly recommend it as a universal saw for many projects.

I would suggest placing the board of top of the trolley and only opening the draw so the clamp can be fixed to the underside of the top of the unit. I would not clamp to the drawer itself as it might damage the bearings. Alternatively, you can cut on the ground by raising the board with some timber scraps. You will need to raise the height of the board, so the blade does not come in contact with the ground.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects