Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coffee table with upcycled top

zool3
Cultivating a Following

Coffee table with upcycled top

StevieB_0-1635369624101.jpegHi All!

I have an old round table top (90cm diameter and 2cm thick) and re-use it to build a round coffee table (~40cm height). I believe the table is hardwood but not sure which type. I am planning to build something similar to the image below. Not sure what angle I'll use for the vertical legs (probably between 10 - 22.5). I will be using dressed pine (89 x 19mm) so the thickness of the leg matches the table top, and also to make sure the legs don't look too wide. I will also coat with boiled linseed oil

My question, given the thickness of the wood is only 2cm, what is the best way to join the table top to the legs? I was thinking of using pocket holes but due to angled cuts I'm not sure if it's a good idea.I was also considering metal plates (the ones that look like a number 8 but can't seem to find it on Bunnings and not sure if it's strong enough). I am open to suggestions! I am also open to new designs 

Thank you!

cofee table.jpg

zool3
Cultivating a Following

Re: Need help with up-cycling a round table top

@StevieB yep, I used linseed oil. It took a while for the smell to air out though.

I'm planning to make a buffet style table to go between a table and a wall. I was planning to have side tables but my current living area doesn't cater for it, so this is an alternative. Still deciding to have 1 or 2 shelves to store pillows and other bits and bobs. I'll be using two 1.2m pre cut panel for the table top, and since you can't see the frame and shelves, I'll use some basic DAR pine. I'll either stain with linseed oil again or paint it white. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects