Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. fireplace mantel and surround

sarayoussef
Growing in Experience

D.I.Y. fireplace mantel and surround

For the longest time I knew this empty odd-shaped wall in our living space needed a fireplace mantel & surround. It just made so much sense and was honestly the only thing missing to create a cozy atmosphere in here. We built it completely out of premium pine wood from Bunnings & then came the fun part of painting, waxing & styling.

Materials

Claymark Premium Pine 

Screws 

Nails/Staples 

Gap Filler 

Paint 

Wax 

Tools

Nail/Staple Gun 

Hammer 

Drill 

DropSaw 

Steps

Step 1

Sketch out your design - I had custom measurements for the wall in our living space so it was crucial that I sketched and measured everything 

C817BBCA-FD88-4911-B85D-92994F32F9B7.jpeg

Step 2

After you have your measurements and you’ve sketched out your design you should have an idea of which size timber planks you need to begin creating your masterpiece. Grab everything you need from Bunnings and if you don’t have a drop saw then make sure you organise for Bunnings to cut everything for you before you get home

3F3597CC-0B5E-47BA-B9ED-81413862F864.jpeg

Step 3

6463B3E0-3537-4D65-B7C4-BD69CE0299AA.jpeg

Begin assembling your Fireplace Surround - this part is so incredibly simple. Create an upside down U-shape with your planks of timber making sure you leave a wide plank of timber for to top to act as your shelf/Mantel. To secure everything together we used a nail/staple gun and some small brackets where needed. 

Step 4

57672E12-D8CB-4CCD-8E43-A706841F90C5.jpeg

Once it’s all be assembled apply your appliqué with glue & fill in any nail holes with gap filled and wait for it to dry. Sand it all back to prepare for painting. 

Step 5

Once it had all been painted and waxed - begin styling! My favourite part! 

658D571C-1E66-47B3-9430-486F1399E0C1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Fireplace Mantel & Surround

Hello @sarayoussef 

That is just wonderful! Creating a DIY fireplace mantel and surround is an impressive undertaking.

A fireplace mantel and surround can greatly enhance the visual appeal of any room. It creates a focal point that draws attention and adds a sense of coziness and warmth. Your DIY project is sure to bring a sense of charm and beauty to your home, becoming a conversation piece for guests.

Beyond aesthetics, a well-designed fireplace mantel and surround can also serve practical purposes. It offers a platform for displaying decor items, such as artwork, photographs, or cherished mementos.

Undertaking a DIY project of this nature requires planning, creativity, and dedication which you've done amazingly well. Completing the fireplace mantel and surround on your own is an amazing effort. You've not only added value to your home but also developed new skills and expanded your DIY repertoire.

Thank you so much for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sarayoussef
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I truly appreciate your compliments. It was a labour of love but it sure paid off - when we sit in our living space now I look at it and am proud of what we created. 💕💕

HI @sarayoussef,

Absolutely stunning job! You should definitely be proud of your hard work. You never know, it may make it into one of our Top Ideas articles one day like our 10 ways to stay warm this winter.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sarayoussef
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much! Oh I Would absolutely love that. 😍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects