Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Cot

Petemc
Getting Established

DIY Cot

I told my wife before the birth of our first child that I'd make all the nursery furniture. No idea why, just on a whim, with no experience in woodworking she though it was a bit mad  Since then I've kept my word. This is the cot i made. It has two drawers the width of the cot which Is enough room for all the cot linens and blankets.

The fold down front I was a bit concerned it would act as a ladder however two children through it and zero escapes.Making custom spring loaded latches which were concealed into the gate frame was a fun challenge. 

A great way to learn to do mortice and tenon joints is to make a cot with rectangular bars, not to mention learning to use a router and a round over bit for each edge of each paling. 

If I had my time again I'd invest In a spray gun. Painting those railings by hand took way too long.

A mistake I made was an error in design. The vertical posts are solid with the bed base. Which is great for strength however I couldn't fit it through the house and into baby's room. We had to manoeuvre it through the window before final assembly.

DSC_0484.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Cot

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Petemc. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

That is really spectacular! I have some experience with woodworking, and I would most likely pass on a project like this, I'm just not skilled enough. I'm in awe of the build's quality and can only imagine the effort that went into it. I trust you are really proud of how it turned out as it looks far superior to many store-bought cots I've seen.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your projects. Well done. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations on your cot project @Petemc. We're sure your work will inspire plenty of other people so we have featured it on our Project Gallery.

Thanks again for sharing. We are looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Nice work @Petemc - solid commitment and a nice outcome.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects