Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY kids house frame bed

Dark
Having an Impact

DIY kids house frame bed

20200908_091214.jpg

Hey all its me Dark. Been awhile since last log in but life got in the way as usual. so im back at it looking for ideas and wife has requested me to make a kingsize bed for our baby girl/toddler. So i thought id build her a house shaped bed. Ill wire up some battery powered fairy lights with a light switch on one of the frames with maybe another down light into the frame. This is all just planning at the moment as i sit her drinking my coffee but what do you guys think?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: diy kids house frame bed planning

Hi @Dark,

Sounds like a great build! You're putting me to shame as my little girl would love something similar and I might have to follow your build for tips on making her one. I'm thinking a bit of a cheat would be to retrofit an exiting bed frame by bolting upright posts onto it. This would certainly save having the build the bed itself.

I can't wait to see you start progressing and what the project will end up looking like. Were there any prerequisites from you bub on what she would like or is she too young still to communicate that? Either way, I'm sure it will be amazing.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY kids house frame bed planning

Really looking forward to seeing this @Dark. The plans look fantastic. 

I would be keen to hear what @prettyliving thinks as she's made some wonderful creations for her kids bedrooms. Jess might also have some great ideas for you.

Jason

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@Dark This is super cool! Love it!
You should add a little mail box to the front with a house number or her name on it ☺️ 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I think she'll love it!

Some roll down curtains of some sort would be fun so she can close it all in and read in the dark with a torch and pretend she's camping and all those fun things that kids do.

What about painting a section with chalkboard paint so you/your wife can write her cute messages to go to sleep/wake up to?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Dark
Having an Impact

So heres an update

So the original plan i had got sideline by the wife and a new design was made. The idea of this one is to have like an open side canopy.

20201011_085212.jpg

We found out someone had already done the design so we built on their idea a bit. We put side rails on that can be removed later and we may put some sort of string light across the top not sure on it but we shall see. Ill update all once its fully completed. 

IMG-20200909-WA0006.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see the updated design @Dark and to hear that you are making progress towards getting started.

Since your original post, I have been looking for a bed frame as a base to build something similar. I'm yet to find anything suitable. I don't think I'm game enough to build the entire thing from scratch.

I'll be looking forward to your next instalment.

Mitchell

Dark
Having an Impact

Update 3

So here it is. Finished putting it together last week and surprisingly it all fits good considering all my cuts are done by hand and not powertool (i love my handsaw and chisels over power). So essentially the matress will sit on the floor and the frame will go around it. The whole thing is structurally tough with the front part with a slight wobble (i have an idea why) if this were to have the matress sit off the floor the only changes to it will be having a brace fitted to the inside base frame and having slats sit on that brace with slats resting on it. Oh and anyone know how to paint give us some idea how to do it. I got spray cans but not 100% sure it will work. Anyway hope it inspires you all let me know what ya think

ill post a full process soon.

20201025_171557.jpg

20201025_171535.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dark,

What colour are you planning on painting it?

It looks like you are almost finished there and I can't wait for completion and the final reveal. I trust it will look amazing.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Hey mitch

I used the brittish paint sample pot with no sheen colour white. Reason for this is that we got 2 pots for $18 and it gives the wood that rough texture with the grain still present

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects