Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY malemine wardrobe or flat pack?

th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

DIY malemine wardrobe or flat pack?

Hi guys. Looking price comparison of buying a flat pack multistore wardrobe package and doing it myself with 16mm malenine. 
I understand how I would build framing and shelves however is there perçut malemine to build drawers? 
thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: malemine wardrobe

Hi @th-DIYER,

If you could provide details on the exact product you are mentioning, after some extensive calculations, I could potentially answer your question. However, I would hazard a guess to say it would be less expensive going with the flat-pack unit product.

There are a couple of pre-fabricated drawers in our range that you could use. Precut melamine boards are normally in larger sizes suitable for building the carcass of the wardrobe units.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc thanks for the speedy reply. 
i was considering one of these flat packs

https://www.bunnings.com.au/multistore-2100-2400mm-pack-6-built-in-wardrobe-package_p0179428 
but then thought could I find pre-fab drawers and if I change the configuration with drawer/shelving into the middle and therefore purchase less large (1800-450) panels because I could secure the hanging racks to the walls instead. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @th-DIYER,

I've just had a look at the flat-pack, as an estimate, you could potentially purchase the melamine boards to construct this for around half the price.

A few things you might like to consider: there are a significant number of hours work which will go into constructing the unit, you'll need a table saw with a fine-tooth blade (or be very steady with a circular saw), there will be some chipping of the cut lines and you'll need to purchase the rail, fixings, draw runners and additional melamine edging for the draw fronts.

So, you could certainly construct the unit for less than purchasing it. Will it be of the same finish as the flat-pack version? That will come down to your own skillset. Personally, taking all things into account, I would be purchasing the flat pack as the amount of work involved and the finish I could achieve would concern me.

Let me mention a couple of our helpful members @Brad and @redracer01 who might like to join the conversation on building melamine shelving.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have the joy/problem of having 9 foot ceilings so even if I custom order 2700 sheets of melamine they are still short.

I should have a drum sander next month and that will let me build custom panels myself from hardwoods, always nice to increase the range of tools I have but that is the final main piece I was missing.

Given you can buy pre cut panels you should only have to trim for around the cornice and skirting boards for your uprights ( I will remove mine ) and cut the shelves to fit and if you are using a table saw a scoring cut of around 1.6 mm deep first will help prevent chipout. Titebond make a melamine glue so you can get a good bonding with that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects