Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dulux Stainless Steel effect dressing table

jennih
Cultivating a Following

Dulux Stainless Steel effect dressing table

03857D6F-426A-42E2-98F4-41C2498F2CD3.jpeg

B25048F1-F3D9-466B-A495-12D200C2E365.jpeg

2D5AFFB0-2684-41C3-8A94-B66B4DEA8873.jpeg

2D3D3971-625C-4F8C-96CF-73039293E8F3.jpeg

77BD535C-61F4-4B9C-A0B2-256D62047D53.jpeg

Happy with this new look for an old hand made (Burnie Board) with dove tail joinery dressing table.

I removed the mirror and decided to use it in my living area as a media cabinet because it is really solid.

The dresser was veneered so I gave it a rough sand, patched some imperfections and sealed it with the Dulux Precision Surface prep which is great all round sealer.

I experimented with the Stainless Steel effect paint roller and brush instructions until I got it looking like I wanted it to.

I left the legs and between the drawers as is so that it had some of its original character.

The colour and sheen moves with the variations in light during the day and night.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dulux Stainless Steel effect

What a fun project @jennih! I love that you've gone with the Dulux stainless steel effect, and leaving the legs and in between the drawers a timber finish was a nice touch.

You've certainly breathed new life into this older piece, and I trust it will perform well as an entertaining unit.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Beautifully executed @jennih

Your experiment really paid off with a gorgeous upcycled piece for your living area. Do you have any advice for those who are looking to use the stainless steel effect on their projects? 

Katie

jennih
Cultivating a Following

Hi Katie,

Use a good primer. The one that was recommended to me at Bunnings Campbelltown was the Dulux Precision Surface Prep and it proved to be a good choice. 

Put 2 good coats of the Stainless Steel Effect with the roller and only use the brush on the final coat. Wait a few minutes after using the roller on the final coat for the paint to bond a bit and then brush over with a dry brush.

I bought a small white cupboard unit for my bathroom and it had wooden legs so I bought some chrome legs from Bunnings to waterproof it and painted the cupboard top with the stainless steel so the unit looked balanced.

I also have 2 Garage Workshelves and I painted themed board satin matte black. I had neatly used all the black so I mixed it with the stainless steel and that worked well and looked great  The combo of matte black and stainless steel shelves will be interesting because one colour absorbs light and the other is reflective. I will upload some photos when I put it together. It is going to be part of my Pinnacle Urban wardrobe set up.

jennih
Cultivating a Following

image.jpg

image.jpgThis is what I did using the stainless steel effect paint and new chrome legs to snazz up my new bathroom cabinet and waterproof the base

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That came up nicely, @jennih. I bet you're pleased with the results. Well done!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects