Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Easycraft panels - tips

Louisecomau
Getting Established

Easycraft panels - tips

Hello! Doing a bedroom project. I am looking to special order some easy craft 900mm high lining boards (link)

Had anyone installed these and could share some tips?

Have watched some videos, however specifically looking at how to handle the corners/joins. Don't have access to a table saw to cut angles into the boards - would this be required? Thinking yes.. 

Second how the boards could look when you can see the 'end' - and options to finish it off. (see pic with 'end squiggle') 

Thanks so much for any replies in advance, 

Have attached a rudimentary plan:

Option 1: just do the bed head wall of 4072mm

Option 2: bed wall and join in the corner to side wall (794), even it up with other side wall (699).

Option 3: wrap around the cladding into the BIR (but have ruled this out - the boards are too thick for smaller spaces. 

Example From pinterest

Screenshot_20210321-164845_Pinterest.jpg

Bedroom corner with 'end' 

20210321_164048.jpg

Crayon plan:

20210321_162218.jpg

Wall wrap from different angle: 

20210321_163919.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Easy craft panels - tips

Hi @Louisecomau,

There are a few different mouldings that could assist in covering your cuts on the internal and external corners. The Porta 12 x 12mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Quad Moulding and Porta 20 x 20mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Round Edge External Corner Moulding would be suitable if your cuts are not perfectly straight. If you're planning on having exposed ends of the panels, then you could use some Timbermate woodfiller to fill any gaps between panels. You might like to check out the Easycraft installation instructions as it lists some complementary products.

Let me mention @ProjectPete who is experienced using this type of panelling to see if he has any suggestions. @LePallet is also currently installing some internal cladding, so might be able to offer some advice as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Nice project you have on your hands @Louisecomau 

I suggest using 1.5mm aluminium angle trim instead of timber simply because it's so much thinner and more seamless. You can see this in a recent project I completed. Just prime with with an aluminium Etch primer before painting to match your panels.

What do you mean by "the boards are too thick for smaller spaces"? They're only 9mm thick.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks Mitchell and Pete, 

Great ideas 

- re the aluminium corner pieces, this is similar to those used on tiles?

- thanks for the instructions, looks like some simple approaches with these two options.  

Screenshot_20210323-001259_Drive.jpg

pete I have seen your beautiful TV wall, very inspirational, thinking of doing something similar.

(built in plant nooks would be amazing) 

Re the 'width' of the boards - bad explanation on my part. The boards are 100mm wide, and on the 110/212/105mm wide walls that wrap around into the WIR, it may look a little odd/dificult to be symmetrical. (for my skillset). 

@Louisecomau,

I believe this Metal Mate 20 x 20 x 1.5mm 3m Aluminium Equal Angle might be the product @ProjectPete mentioned. 

You'll need to pre-plan that corner into the WIR to get the boards matching correctly. You are correct that depending on where the V-grooves fall; it could look a bit odd. How thick is the wall there? Remember, you'll have the 100mm width of the board and then the two corner angles that are 20mm wide, so depending on where the V-grooves fall, you could offset the board's position. Pete might have some handy tips. I think it might be best to start your boards at the end of the partition wall and work around the room from there.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Louisecomau The panels are actually 1200mm wide. Each groove is spaced 100mm apart.

Depending on the overall style you're going for, easycraft offer a MTO (Made To Order) option of 63mm grooves (which i used on the recessed TV wall) which offers a more modern finish and may be better for the 100/212/105mm walls as you're guaranteed at least 1 groove on that section if that's what you're trying to achieve.

The ali trim @MitchellMc mentioned is the one I'm referring to although I used the 10mm profile rather than 20mm.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects