Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Exterior paint used on closet shelves (interior)

ppp
Having an Impact

Exterior paint used on closet shelves (interior)

I have accidentally used exterior paint ( dulux weathershield maxiflex - vivid white) on melamine sheets. These are going to be used in bedroom.

Is that okay ?

If not how can i revert that ?

Can I paint with interior paint on top of it ? 

Please suggestions.

Thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: have used exterior paint on closet shelves (interior)

Hi @ppp,

Community members who contributed to Can you use exterior paint on indoor furniture? didn't see a problem with using exterior paint indoors. Let me tag one of our resident D.I.Y. experts @EricL for his thoughts.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Exterior paint used on closet shelves (interior)

Hello @ppp

Normally a special primer such as Dulux 1L Renovation Range Primer is applied before any form of topcoat is applied to melamine panels. But, because you've used Dulux Exterior Paint Weathershield, it now becomes a question of when will it peel off. To cure the panels you've painted, they will have to be exposed to the sun. This will cure the paint and lower its malleability. You'll notice that the Weathersheild has a soft finish on it, not like a flat hard surface. Because there is no primer on it, the possibility of scratching the paint off is very likely.

The proper course of action is to remove the paint and use a proper primer on top. You can sand the melamine panel with an Ozito ¼ Sheet Orbital Sander. You'll need to remove as much of the paint as possible. You'll then need to wash the surface with Selleys 1L Wall Surface Cleaner Super Concentrate Sugar Soap to remove all contaminants. Please remember to dilute this product as it is a concentrate. Once the panel is dry and prepped, that's the only time you can apply the melamine primer. I recommend using Dulux 1L Renovation Range Cabinet Doors Satin White tinted to your preferred colour. This will work very well with the Renovation Range Primer as they are formulated to work together.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ppp
Having an Impact

Re: Exterior paint used on closet shelves (interior)

Million Thanks EricL.

Do you recommend any other primer for Melamine panels other than Dulux Renovation Range Primer as it seems to be expensive (60$ for 1L) ?

I have couple of other projects in line with Melamine panels so looking to buy in bulk and save $$$ if possible.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects