Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating desk install

PChandog
Getting Established

Floating desk install

I am building a floating desk in my study. I am completely new to this and need some help and advice to let me know if I am on the right track. 

I want to buy two 1800mm benchtop (cut them to 1400mm each) to fit in a 2800mm space. They will be 600mm wide and 38mm thick. 

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Floating desk install

Hi @PChandog,

Welcome to the community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing you successfully complete your desk project. With so many people working from home I'm sure it will be a popular one.

Let me tag some users who have completed similar projects before and might be able to kick off the discussion and share their thoughts: @ProjectPete@Tara86@Starkers_17@LePallet.    

You might also get some hints and tips from this project on the Bunnings website - How to make a D.I.Y. timber floating wall desk

Floating_Desk.png

I will also embed the video below. Hope it helps get you started. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would start by only cutting one benchtop as there is less chance of error.

To join you will need Benchtop Connectors https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=Benchtop%20Connector&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=6... 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @PChandog, can you share a photo of your space please and show which walls it'll be connected to?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

pic1.jpgpic2.jpg

Please excuse the mess. Two teachers in the house, so we had to quickly set up for remote learning.😣

So I want to attach it along wall A all the way across from wall B to wall C. I have got a stud finder but finding it difficult to find the stud in the wall at the moment 😬. Thanks for all your help, guys. Hope this helps, @ProjectPete. I looked at what you did with your project on the floating shelf. It looks very nice. I tried to go on your insta to see the finished product but couldn't see it. 

Thanks! My customer was stoked with it too!

Have you considered getting a single piece of timber to avoid the join which requires extra effort and cost and obviously isn't a seamless?

Those brackets sound like they'll be strong enough, my only concern would be the fact they support less than 50% of the depth of the desk (250mm of 600mm). Either way, I'd pop one of these on each of Wall B and C. And it wouldn't hurt to pop one of the corner brackets shown in pic below in each corner.

corner bracket.png

Sorry but I can't find the finished photos either. Odd. I'll try my home laptop later.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks @ProjectPete. I did want to get a single piece. But I couldn't find it anywhere. 

I understand what you mean about the brackets I mentioned not covering 50% of the width. I haven't bought them yet and they will have to come from Sydney (I am in Melb). Would you know if I can use some other brackets that can support the desk. The timber pieces that I was looking at are about 28kg each, so if I go ahead and get them, cut them and join them, I think they will weigh about 50kg max.

I like the idea of corner brackets. Thanks for that. 

I couldn't open the link you put up there where it says one of these.  

PChandog_0-1588134942172.png

It takes me to the DIY page of bunnings. I am guessing you are showing angle brackets but I couldn't see it. 

Thanks for your advice. It is really helpful so far. 

DopyDingo
Growing in Experience

Looks like a fantastic size for a desk! Cant wait to see the results!

Another option to consider, that will also give you the flush finish between the sheets is to construct a sub frame that the boards will attach to.

The benefits of this is you can use full length beams that are supported by brackets and provide a consistent platform for the top.

The frame itself does not need to be the same depth as the panels and can constructed slightly less depth so they are not visible from the front.

Good luck with the project!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

The joys of not all states having matching products giving the website problems so it sends you to the home page instead. I think Pete was linking to a bracket that would fit on walls B and C for some added support.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects