Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home office custom furniture build

ogosh
Junior Contributor

Re: Home office custom furniture build

A few people have sent me messages asking about cost, so without too detailed a breakdown here they are:
Pipe, fittings, timber panel, and screws for the desk came to $336
Pipe fittings, timber panel, nuts & bolts for the bookshelf came to $430
Paint and primer was $22
All up total was $788
The only extravagant expense was custom black nuts and bolts for the bookshelf which came to $42.00 on their own...ouch!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your numbers @ogosh. Sounds like your project has inspired many Workshop members. Well done!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bluemoonskye
Junior Contributor

@ogosh 

Loved the progress commentary & photos. Was inspirational. 

I purchased that acacia timber length (marked as a shelf), with the hope of cutting a length off to replace a side table top. But I wasn’t sure what the cut edge would look like. Is that what you used for the shelving system? And how did you treat the raw edge?

thx in advance 😊

ogosh
Junior Contributor

Hi @bluemoonskye,

Thanks for your kind comments,

The acacia panel is designed as a wet area/kitchen benchtop, so is finished on all 6 sides and ready to use as is, my shelves are in a home office so not concerned about waterproof-ness. 

However to ensure I only had nice finished edges showing, I had the panel cut strategically as follows.

• Once lengthways down the middle giving two 220cm x 30cm strips
  • Then each of those were cut equally into 3 in three, to give 6 shelves at around 72cm long by 30cm deep

That way each shelf had at least one finished edge, but 4 (of the 6) had 2 fined edges (all the corner pieces from the original panel) perfect for a bookshelf which goes in a corner where only 2 of the 4 edges are visible.

With the 2 unfinished edge pieces, I put that right down the bottom at ankle height and the other right at the top well above head height, and I don't really see it at all.

Of course you could always get some stain/finish/sealer etc to tidy up any cut edges, but I didn't bother.

bluemoonskye
Junior Contributor

Great planning! 

What did you cut it with? I have a saw table but it doesn’t have a fine tooth blade on it. And I’m worried I might wreck the timber!

ogosh
Junior Contributor

You can mask up the surface with masking tape to prevent scratching and tear out and use a good straight edge and circular saw to rip it and then cross cut or just buy a new finer tooth table saw blade, should be less than $30.00

But I just had my local bunnings store cut it, if they do it smart it’s just 3 cuts which I think is only a $3 or so they often don’t charge either!

StevieB
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Hi @ogosh,

Thanks for sharing your creative project with us. It's been really popular with almost 13,000 views.

Did you end up finding a suitable cable management solution? It would be great to hear an update.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ogosh
Junior Contributor

Hi @StevieB,

Good timing.... I have just moved the desk and will be resetting it all up shortly in a new space and will send an update as soon as that is complete.

STAY TUNED.....

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects