Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I convert these French doors to bifold?

kornborg
Finding My Feet

How can I convert these French doors to bifold?

These doors open inward and due to the trim between the concrete foundation and the gib, cannot open completely on the left side. The left door also blocks the light switch, which is extremely inconvenient as I use this room in the evenings and it also doubles as a spare bedroom. Due to the entrance and the stairs on the exterior of the room, I can't flip them to open outward or use a barn door. I'm trying to figure out a solution that doesn't require new doors or relocating electricals, and have landed on converting the current french doors to bifold doors with a piano hinge.

I'm planning on either flipping the left door to move the handle, or just putting a new handle after removing the current ones. I shouldn't have to rehang the right side door.

My only real question is how do I manage the tracks? Would these doors (hollow, made in the 80s) be stable enough for only a top track? A bottom track would be a tripping hazard, and also the floor down on this area is bare concrete. Can I make them more stable with some sort of bracing disguised as trim?

1000004924.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How can I convert these French doors to bifold?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @kornborg. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as he can. Let me also call upon our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@LePallet and @TammieBrown in case they have any thoughts. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kornborg 

My apologies for the late reply. There are a few things to watch out for, but I believe you can convert your French doors into a bifold system. I suggest using a rail system such as the Cowdroy 1220mm Triumph 2 Door Folding Track System. This will provide a guide and carry the weight of the doors instead of it being just held together with hinges on one side.

But before you start purchasing parts, I suggest double checking your measurements such as the door opening and the size of the doors as the rail has weight and size limits. In regards to the doorknobs they will need to be removed so that the doors can fold neatly together. I suggest using a Delf 50mm Satin Chrome Flush Ring Pull to close the bifold doors.

It will probably be necessary to cut the doors down to size so please make sure to take that into consideration. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to install internal bi-fold doors to hide study nook? by @cassi19

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue and @Yorky88 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you! I figured I'd have to cut them shorter, but do you think that using a circular saw would break the glass?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kornborg 

It's difficult to tell how bad the vibration will be regarding the circular saw. But to increase your chances of safety and success, I suggest cutting the bottom of the door instead of the top near the glass. I also recommend cutting the door on a flat surface where the door is fully supported. I also propose putting a towel over the glass area just to be safe.

Please keep in mind that clamping the door to the cutting table will also help reduce vibration. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a face mask when working on your project. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric  

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kornborg, I agree with @EricL 's suggestions regarding using the top guide system, unless you are wanting the doors to swing right back against the wall when open. Doing that would get messy though, as the doors tend to swing about freely (not smoothly) until they are fully closed or fully open.

The guided system as EricL suggests, will make them operate more smoothly.

I'd suggest using a jig saw to cut the door ends since it will be less rough on the timber and create less low frequency vibrations to threaten the glass.

Whatever you use, score along the cut line with a knife first as this gives you a cleaner edge than the saw blade alone will.

I also suggest that you lay a soft pillow in the gap between the glass and the surface that the door is laying on when you cut it.

[It should be soft enough to avoid putting much pressure on the glass.]  This will absorb any vibrations of the glass.

if no suitable pillow is available then fill up the gap using folded blankets. Throw a folded blanket on top of the glass too.

We will all look forward to seeing the outcome of your work.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects