Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix this internal cement rendered wall?

Demolition
Finding My Feet

How do I fix this internal cement rendered wall?

Hi Everyone,

Recently got my foot in the door with an apartment, the place is coming up to 20 years old, the walls are cement rendered and there are some small cracks, but this larger one where the wall meets the window frame is where I'd like to start. Any suggestions on the best way way to get after this?

Cheers

DCracked render.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I fix this internal cement rendered wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Demolition.

Let me tag @TedBear and @Prof to kick off this discussion. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to help with any questions when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to have you join us @Demolition.

I'd suggest you start by taking a flat head screwdriver and chipping away any loose material on that edge. It will begin to look worse before we can make it look better. It's essential to remove any degraded render, or the repair will only be temporary. That larger chunk will likely need to be removed as well.

Take the screwdriver and apply pressure whilst running it up and down the edge of the render. The idea is to chip away any of that thin render that is loose and pulling away. We're looking to create depth to key our new render into. Applying a thicker bedded coat of new render is much better than to skim coat over the existing damaged areas.

Once you've removed the render along the edge, you can brush out any dust and then use painter's tape along the adjacent surface to prevent excess cement from getting on it. Fill the area with Lanko 5kg 136 Rapid Patching Mortar. It's important to apply only enough to sit flush with the surrounding render. Please do not bring it proud of the existing render. Once the new cement has been applied, take a stiff brush or similar tool and stipple the surface. You can dampen the tip slightly to make this process easier. You will be looking to replicate the surrounding renders pattern as close as possible. 

Once the render is dry, you're ready to undercoat and then paint the area. That large piece of damaged render could be ideal for taking to your closest Bunnings store for a colour match on the paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Amazing! Thanks Mitchell for taking the time to comeback with such a detailed answer!

Keep us updated @Demolition, and give us a shout if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects